Metal Halide in a Canopy?

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by ryanwolf, Aug 7, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ryanwolf

ryanwolf Skunk Shrimp

Hey gang...

I was looking to upgrade my lighting. Currently I have the current usa sundial t5 216watt set for my 72 gallon bow front. 48 inches

I wanted to add hanging metal halides to increase the lighting.
    Obviously, heat is an issue since my wife won't let me take off the canopy.

My current lighting has built in fans in the back (made for a canopy)

I was wondering if I could purchase the coralife aqualight 150 watt hqi pendant and suspend the light from pvc pipe inside the canopy.
    The lights would hang towards the front, on the left and right sides of the tank. Is this safe? Is this the best way to go?

They also sell 70w and 150w clamp on metal halides... Would that be bettter than hanging inside the tank? any suggestions? I can't afford to get rid of my current lighting and don't want the hassle of selling it... wanting to add to it.

Thanks,
    Ryan

2. Click Here!

3. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Can you post some pics of the canopy? Nice detailed ones showing the inside, so we can see how much room you've got. I'm off to bed shortly, but I'll look at it tomorrow.

4. ryanwolf

ryanwolf Skunk Shrimp

Sure, I'll get them up in the morning!
    Thanks...

5. cannedmulder

cannedmulder Teardrop Maxima Clam

I have MH in my canopy! However heat is an issue. It heats up my tank alot but I put in 4 fans, 2 on each side and it cools it enough. I don't feel there is a safety issue here!

6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

As long as you keep it well vented, you should/will be fine. Another trick that helps, is to direct an a/c duct towards the tank. Luna

7. ryanwolf

ryanwolf Skunk Shrimp

Photos of Canopy

Here are some pics of the canopy with lighting inside...
    Check out the top plastic in the middle of the canopy... don't you think something could clamp on there and point down... leaving no reason for additional fans since it's technically outside the canopy...

the hanging method won't work because the canopy isn't as tall as I thought... I'll post one more pic in the next reply

I also think a clamp on could go on the side or from the middle plastic frame that's the same as the one on the canopy on the main tank part... it was there to close the tank off ...which obviously I don't do... however the piece could come in handy...

My t5 unit can also be moved back about 5 inches or so... giving more room for any ideas... remember... I CANNOT take off the canopy or hang anything from the ceiling!!! ***Wife*****

Thanks,
    Ryan

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. ryanwolf

ryanwolf Skunk Shrimp

One more Photo!

What do you think of the clamp on hqi metal halide 70 watt viper...
    clamp on from the top canopy center plastic ... two of them... each facing down onto the right and left side... and push back the t5 unit the full amount about 5 inches to give the front part of the tank the powerful lighting...
    I cannot clamp onto the back because the arm only extends 6.5 inches and the current usa sundial unit is about 9 inches wide...

I think the 150 watt viper x2 would be too much ... on top of the 216 watt t5's...

70x2 would be great, no?

Attached Files:

10. phorn

phorn Bristle Worm

I'm not sure, but if it was me I'd be real careful about MH lights mounted in a plastic canopy. My 2 cents...use a clip on

11. ryanwolf

ryanwolf Skunk Shrimp

Figured it out!!!!
    Forget the metal halide... wayy too complicated for my open top canopy...
    Instead, I'm selling my t5's ...
    and I've purchased a retrofit VHO 4 bulb 110 watt each setup with icecap ballast...
    *****IceCap 46.5 inch VHO Retrofit Kit - 4 Lamps*** marinedepot.com
    It doubled my wattage from 216 to 440 ... watts per gallon in my 72 set up will be at 6.1!!!!
    I have a 6 inch fan that can push up any heat generated...

Now, I need some help... what is the best way to get this fitted inside the canopy??
    Any suggestions... the photos are posted earlier on this thread...

Help!
    Ryan ';)

12. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

your gonna have to put a board on top the tank and screw them in i used to have them.[​IMG]
    sorry about the crappy pic i took it to add to my tank thread to show what lighting i had before my dual halides fixture(best 200 dollar investment i ever made). i could give you the link for the guy on ebay that sells them. the mounting legs can be slid to however long you need it to be.[​IMG]