I pulled the trigger (48" maristar mh/t5 fixture)

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by luvreefs23, Aug 3, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

I replaced my 8 bulb tek t5 fixture yesterday with the maristar mh/t5 unit. My god i luv this fixture, i tried to take pix but theres sumthing up with the camera...everything comes out blinding blue. I bought the mounting legs and 2 250 watt ushio 20k bulbs and 2 uvi actinic plus t5's. I couldnt recommend a nicer fixture if u are looking to go with a t5/mh setup.

2. Click Here!

3. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

Took a pic of the tank with the fixture on. Thought id share, u can also see my new vortech to the left i was suppose to post pics of last week. Tank is doing great, all levels are testing perfect. I did test last nite with my salifert test kits, mag was 1300, calcium was 430, alk dkh is 8.0, nitrate is 0, and phosphate is at 0. salinity is 1.025 and temp is 78.5 - 79.0, oh and ph is 8.3. I do daily water changes, 1 gallon in the am before work and a gallon after work. I couldnt be happier with the consistency of all my levels and water clarity.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. mandarin11

mandarin11 Peppermint Shrimp

dude sweet looking tank! karma

water changes twice a day? Wow you're good.:cheesy:

5. liegeofinveracity

liegeofinveracity Coral Banded Shrimp

...the night time... is the right time...
  6. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

Thanks, yeah havent skimped on anything for my tank. Ive bought top of the line everything and boy does it show. I had good and decent equipment on my other tanks but when u go all out and spend u really do get what u pay for. Who cares if i cant afford groceries lol.

7. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

OK, I need to know. What did you not like about the T5. I have a 75g setup that is going to have a Tek 48" 8x54W fixture put over it. I want input from everyone, especially those who were dissatisfied with the product. Let me know. Thanks. John.

8. Click Here!

9. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Do you know he's selling that exact same setup? May want to buy it from him......

10. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

Pharmrjohn, its not that i didnt like the tek t5 fixture, i just love mh. I love it even more with it supplmented with t5 so i had to have it. I wanted it when i bought my tek t5 unit but had to pass on it cause it was 500 dollars more. I will say that when playing with t5 fixtures getting that perfect coloration to suit your tastes can be tricky and hard at times cause there are so many combinations especially with a 8 bulb fixture. I like a look that has a blue/ purple glow to it that will make the corals glow and pop but still have enuf white in the lighting to make the tank look natural as all 8 bulbs are firing. If i could recommend some bulbs to you for when u get yours (if u like the same kind of light scheme as i do) I would get 3 uv super actinics, one geisemann actinic plus, 3 aquablue plus, and one uv lighting/uri 75/25 bulb. Personal taste might make u wanna swap out an actinic for more white etc but i think thats a nice start/variety to begin with. Good luck with your fixture.

1 person likes this.
  11. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Looks awesome...

12. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

sweet looking set up! it looks really nice