Going MH

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by jcdillin, Mar 14, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jcdillin

jcdillin Spaghetti Worm

I'm considering upgrading my lighting since now we really want to have some coral. If I purchased the 760W oddysea fixture, it comes with 4 65w actinic bulbs. Could I switch those out with 50/50 bulbs so that when the MH aren't on the tank still looks well lit?

I'm just not sure if that will take away too much of the actinic lighting that is needed by the coral I believe?

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Personally, I would levae the actinics there as the blue will offer your tank livestock more vivd coloration. Moreover, the blue spectrum lighting will enable you to achieve a dusk and dawn lighting replica that is a natural part of life, not to mention that it will be a good transition for your livestock going from dark to the actinics then the intensity of all the lights being on together, instead of having the lights go from darkness to full intensity.
    Then their is the growth factor and importance of the actinics and corals host zooxanthellae! Zooxanthellae seems to prefer light from the blue end of the spectrum for photosynthesis and that that entails.
    Congrats on the metal halides and I would stick with the actinics, and I feel that you will ultimately feel the same way!

4. jcdillin

jcdillin Spaghetti Worm

That makes sense, thanks! :)

5. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Adding MH's a great leap forward in providing good light environment for many corals...

That being said, many species do not require that much light.

You could easily fill tank with many varieties of soft corals with your existing lights.

Keep us posted.

Scott

6. jcdillin

jcdillin Spaghetti Worm

My biggest thing is that I don't want to be limited on what I can put in. Also I really like all the cool corals like frogspawn or zoos and I know I can't do those under my current lights. Not to mention i'm really aiming for a tank that is close to a real reef as possible.

Being a diver that can't really dive that often anymore I miss seeing the reef so getting my slice of reef to look as close as possible is very rewarding.

7. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

8. Click Here!

9. jcdillin

jcdillin Spaghetti Worm

Yeah I was looking at that T5 setup, beautiful. Oh well too late, the MH's are on their way :)

10. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

I could not belive how much of a difference the MH lighting made for my set up you should be very happy. I would leave the atinics in .;D

11. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

THEIR IS MORE TO HAVING AND MAINTAINING A THRIVING REEF BIOTOPE THAN JUST LIGHTING.
    If you have subpar lighting however your water parameters are optimal, water flow is ideal and you have reduced phosphates, dissolved organics and inorganics and turbidity, you will notice the difference and you will be able to successfully maintain a thriving tank. Yes, lighting(PUR and PAR) as well as kelvin will assist certain species of coral in terms of their color, and you may not be able to keep other types of coral and Tridacna clams, unless under very intense lighting but for the most part they will do fine under subdued lighting.

12. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

swap out 50/50s for full actinics when time comes. halides are bright enough and you will have tons of flourescing ;)