Glass for Metal Halides

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by cwop357, Mar 3, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cwop357

cwop357 Astrea Snail

The glass on my metal halides broke and I was wondering what kind of glass do you need to replace it.

Thank You ;D

2. Click Here!

3. cwop357

cwop357 Astrea Snail

Well I bought some replacement glass from my local store and after about 5 min it cracked their has to be some kind of special glass used.

4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Have you tried contacting the manuf. for replacement parts?

5. Marty

Marty Stylophora

You need tempered glass I believe.

6. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

tempered, call the manufacturer of the hood assembly if you want to replace it. i dont use any glass on se mh bulbs. if there de, then you dont have a choice but to use uv shielded glass.

7. Notturnia

Notturnia Bristle Worm

i did many job with protection glass for HQI/MH lamps..

what kind of bulb are you using ?

if it's a dual ended bulb you need a 5mm tempered glass to protect from UV or a 5mm boro-silicate glass that is much better then tempered glass.. brigther and harder and wont suffer from heat.. but will cost probably 10 times more..

we use boro-silicates glasses on our dual ended bulbs to remove all UV-C half UV-B and not much UV-A (they gives color to the coral skin)

if you have an EDISON E40/E39 or similar single ended bulb with a protective glass around the main bulb then you will need just a 3mm tempered glass or borosilicate to avoid water from touch the bulb..

with 400W lamps we do not use glasses between bulb and water as the 400W are already UV-Stop so wont harm the fishes nor corals.. and every kind of glass you will put between bulb and water wil reduce the light..

btw.. a borosilita stop 2% of the light a tempered one stops up to 6% this is why i use borosilicate... to have a 4% more.. just i payed all 100% :D

good luck with the glasses