DOWN to 2 set of MH's YOU PICK!

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by Glewis121, Jan 14, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Glewis121

Glewis121 Astrea Snail

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Apparently the new oddys are good with their electronic ballasts and multiple pluges.

I think i am going to get an oddy for my 65 gallon, 24 in deep aquarium.

I have one more question though: should i go with the 630w which supports 2x 250 mhs or shold i opt for the 442w which supports only 1x 250?

630w:
    36" 630W Metal Halide Aquarium Reef Light w/ Free Ship - eBay (item 130189634505 end time Jan-19-08 20:33:26 PST)

442w:
    36" 442W Metal Halide Aquarium Reef Light w/ Free Ship - eBay (item 160198952307 end time Jan-21-08 11:40:03 PST)

2. Click Here!

3. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

go for the two, usually recommened 1 MH for every 2 feet of tank.

4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

My MH fixture is from the same person that you are looking into buying. I bought from him a 48" (2) 250w HQI DE 20000k MH and (2) 96w actinics with 6 lunar lights about two yrs ago and still running great. Only had too change the inside fans.

5. Glewis121

Glewis121 Astrea Snail

Lunatik 69. i have been reading all you have been writing about these lights and you are the big reason why i have decided to buy them!

i was wondering where you bought the replacement lights from.

You think i should get the 2x 250w correct? that is good form my 65 gallon right?

thanks for all of you help.

6. tinnghe

tinnghe Purple Spiny Lobster

by changing the fan meaning a mod or the fan broke?

7. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

They look like the lights from Aquatraders They are chinese made and not very reliable. Go with Corallife aqualights or orbit MH's
    There's a reason they are so cheap. Some people have good luck with them, others don't. I ordered a light from them and it arrived broken. I sent it back and they said there was nothing wrong with it and I had to call my credit card co. to my money back. you could check out catfishlighting at Untitled Document They may sell the same units, I'm not sure. They usually respond to emails the same day

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2008
  8. Click Here!

9. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Raven, i had /have a catfish lighting PC unit. Im positive they are oddyssea........

10. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

imop you would be better off with a DIY
    2-250w mh
    2-96w pc
    692w total, 10.6w/gal

11. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

How much are you willing to spend on lights? Buy a good fixture and you wont be replacing it in 2 years.

12. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Hey Glewis, as I have said before, these are NOT the best lights out there and I have read/heard the house burning stories. I bought them 2 yrs ago and their still working great. No rust on the legs. One of the internal cooling fans was acking up(spinning and not cooling) so I replace that fan and the other fan(working good) and added(modified) three more fans. So now, I have a total of four fans. I did this only b/c I felt that it didnt have enough fans. The main reason I went with this unit was b/c of my budget. This same unit under a known name brand would have set me back at least $1200.00 I only paid $329.00 with shipping included and all the bulbs. Im sorry, but you cant beat that. As for the replacement bulbs, I found them at ebay for $9.99 each. I know thats really cheap(every sense of the word) but there working great. I am going to try the ones that tangster sells to see if theres a difference. As to which one for your system, that really depends on you and what your going to have in the tank. The general rule of thumb is 5 watts p/g(325 watts) for " regular " corals and 9 watts p/g(585 watts) for stonies and calms. So its really up to you. I cant tell you which one to buy. If your budget allows you to buy a better unit, go for it. Hope this helps and sorry for replying so late, Luna.