Current USA SunPod PowerPaq HQI Lamp & Lunar Lights

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by oremug, Aug 12, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oremug

oremug Astrea Snail

Hi, I'm looking into upgrading my lighting for my 20g reef and fish to mh but this seems to be the only option for me size wise. Will it be good enough without the actinics? coral growth and visual? I'm looking at the 150w.
    I want a good mix of soft and hard corals so I'm looking to please it all. Would this item be a good investment?
    "Current USA SunPod PowerPaq HQI Lamp & Lunar Lights
    The Current USA SunPod produces an enormous amount of light and cuts through water to even the deepest depths. The PowerPaq 14,000K HQI metal halide(s) produce the energy your corals will need while also providing the natural shimmering effect found on coral reefs. Powered by our proprietary microprocessor based electronic driving system, the high-intensity blue light produced by the 14,000K PowerPaq HQI is so brilliant—no other supplemental actinic lamps are required."

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Bull I know better it will only penetrate as far as 150 W will push it about 18 inches to keep corals under other then some softs.. As for a 14K with no Actinic Bull again. WE sell the currents its a O.K fixture But you'd be better off going with 250 HQI and a set of actinic in the fixture .. Separate actinic offers more then needed light it allows you to run the cheaper and cooler to operate T5 VHO or P/C's for longer periods and allowing you to run the hot electricity eating M/H ..

4. oremug

oremug Astrea Snail

Thanks for the quick reply. My only problem now is size. I don't have an option for hanging so it has to sit on the tank. It's a 20g 24"L 12"W 17"H
    Any ideas what might work?

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Heck on a 20 L I'd simple run a New wave or Tek T 5 set up using 2 UVL actinic white and 2 UVL super actinic blues ? grow all the corals you want with less heat and operating cost .. A M/H is just way over the top for this heat will kill you

Tek-Light™ T5-24 2Ft - 4Lamp 8,000 Lumens 960005 24in L x 12in W x 2.5in H

New Wave® T5 - 24 2Ft-4 Lamp 960203 White 23.3”L x 11”W x 3.5H

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008