Considering Light Upgrade

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by BaxterS80, Jan 9, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

I am seriously considering upgrading to MH lighting. The only requirement is that they do not hang from the wall. Want a tank top install. I am considering the Current USA 72 inch Outer Orbit 3x150w 10K HQI-MH w/ 8x39W T5 HO & 24 Lunar Lights.

Does anyone have experience with this system? Any thoughts?8)

2. Click Here!

3. norman.stormin

norman.stormin Plankton

Recently upgraded to the Outer Orbits 2x 250 MHs + 4x 39 T5s with the blue & white LEDs. Quality is much better than the Coralife CFs I had before.

Mounting legs come with, and so do several timers. Not sure, but I think the 150s may have electronic ballasts built in (the 250s are external). Check bigalsonline.com- got a very nice price (although they don't have free shipping, but if you find it cheaper elsewhere they will adjust their price to under that by 5%).

Very high quality, fans are probably mediumly noisy.

1 person likes this.
  4. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

You will not be sorry you chose MH's. There won't be any limitations in your tank as far as coral go.

1 person likes this.
  5. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

+1 on that Otty.

2 people like this.
  6. Scott Osborne

Scott Osborne Feather Duster

What size tank is that for? Or more specifically depth?

I currently have DE HQI bulbs but in my next tank I will use Moguls. I think the bulb selection is much better for moguls.

That hood you listed has a heck of a lot of T5s in it. Are all those for Actinic lighting?

1 person likes this.
  7. BaxterS80

Scott it is a 72gal bowed depth is 21 " with a 3 inch sandbed....8)

Thank you, Norman, Otty, and K0gle

8. Click Here!

9. BaxterS80

I am wondering if 500 w for a 72 gal might be too much. Should I go with 300(2x150) watt with 4x54 T5's?

10. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

ive got dual 250's on a 55 gal......

11. BaxterS80

Hey Aquaboy, what are you keeping in the tank? Any problems with coral burn or bleaching?

12. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

um, ive got a hammer coral, a couple florida (Flo Rida, lol) ricordias that are orange and one thats neon green. a devils hand leather, some zoas, green starburst polyps, and a nice happy head o' xenia. they are all easy to keep beginner corals, as i consider myself "fresh" to reefing. im gonna et alot more, dont worry. Ive got my lfs owner looking for a nice colorfu brain coral for me........ oh and my B-Day is in march........so even more then :D