Can't Decide on Lighting - Please Help

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by GatorDrew, Apr 25, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GatorDrew

GatorDrew Astrea Snail

Alright - I got a 90G tank (49w x 19d x 26h). I want to have clams, soft/hard corals, etc. I really, really love the look of clams and want to get em.

My LFS recommends a retro fit since I want to keep my hood. I got about 5.5" of height from the top of my tank to the "ceiling" of my hood. Not much space.

He recommends this unit in particular:
    Coralife 48 Inch Aqualight Pro Retrofit Kit, 2x150W HQI Lamp + 2x96W CF Lamps Sq. Pin + 4x1W LED - Marine Depot - Marine and Reef Aquarium Super Store

He told me that it's a really nice install and doesn't look "retro" at all. I especially like the fact that it's covered so the bulb isn't directly over the water.

For some reason, I'm scared to death that if I don't have some type of protection something bad is going to happen. The only thing I'm concerned with is 150W HQI bulbs; however, he stressed that WPG isn't a good measurement by any means. This unit is 3" tall.

The option I previously had in mind was about $100 cheaper and would be something like:
    2x - MH Parabolic Reflector Set w/ Mogul Base
    2x - Electronic Ballast
    2x - 400W 10k (or 14k) Halide Bulbs

This setup is 5" tall.

When I mentioned that to him, he strongly recommended against the mogul base. I can't recall why though. Previously, my setup would have 400W bulbs, but wouldn't have the actnics or lunar lights.

Ugh! Please help!

2. Click Here!

3. GatorDrew

GatorDrew Astrea Snail

By the way... I currently own this lighting setup:

2-65 watt 10,000K Daylight & 2-65 watt 03 Blue Actinic Compact Fluorescent Lamps, 2 built in ballasts, 3-3/4 watt Lunar Blue Moon Glow LED Lamps , 2 cooling fans

These tankmates are pretty happy:

FISH
    Maroon Clownfish

CORALS
    Standard Mushroom
    Red Mushroom Coral
    ZOAs
    Pacific Recordia - Yuma

OTHER
    Flame Scallop
    Rose Bulb Anenome

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I don't know what your LFS has against Mogul Bulbs. There is more variety in terms of colour temp and wattage.

I would recommend something in the middle. like 2X 250W + Actinics if I were you.

J

5. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

I've never heard anything bad about the mogul base. Unfortunately, hes probably saying that because he doesnt deal with a vendor that stocks that :(

I'm with jason though - and I like the look of the 14k

6. GatorDrew

GatorDrew Astrea Snail

So there shouldn't be any concern on my part that IceCap 250 Watt Metal Halide Retrofit Kit with 14K Hamilton Bulb and SpiderLight Reflector - Marine Depot - Marine and Reef Aquarium Super Store is 5" high and my spacing is just 5.5" high?

I'm just worried about the possibility of water splashing up on the bulb.

The only thing separating the tank and the light would be an egg crate.

Getting two of the above and two electronic ballasts will end up being ~$750. The the added costs of Actinics!

This is what makes this hobby so hard... some people say "400W!!!" others, such as LFS, say "150W is fine" now there's a third one... 250W. No matter what, it's an upgrade.

Thank you for your help!

7. GatorDrew

GatorDrew Astrea Snail

8. Click Here!

9. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

You should have no problem with splash...most should have a UV glass guard on them.

I wouldnt take my response as gold, but I've seen the coralife fixture IRL and thought it was crap. For a HO MH fixture...it wasnt at all bright. The PCs looked brighter than the MH.

I would get pendants or retros and DIY. BTW, how long are your current PCs ? If they arent TOO short, just use actinics or 50/50s and just buy the halides :)

10. GatorDrew

GatorDrew Astrea Snail

I was just about to ask... I'm kind of confused now. I thought because of space I would have to go retro. However, this retro fit is 5" high with no splash guard

While this is a pendant and comes with a shield, etc.

What else would I need for the pendant system? This?

I guess it's because it doesn't screw directly into the top of the canopy?

I guess I'll call up IceCap about the Spider Reflector and Ballast. and ask them their opinions. If I get two of those I should be good. If the bulbs are 14k it should bring in enough blue to where I don't need Actinics.

Really, when I think about it the bulb fixture itself will actually be ~5" away from the water. I would still like to see a splash guard, but I just gotta trust someone... LOL

11. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

You have certainly done your research.

I don't think you could go wrong with both your suggestions, but I'm leaning toward the Aqualight pro. It may be an easier solution with the all-in-one ease
    + I dose have all the elements your looking for

J

12. GatorDrew

GatorDrew Astrea Snail

Thanks Jason... I'm trying to do research. Funny thing though... it's almost making things more difficult.

I'm just trying not to get suckered into anything by my LFS. They offer VERY comparable pricing on this. IE: The 48" 150W Coralife lighting kit is $628 there (same as Marine Depot, but no shipping!). The difference in 100W is about $300.