Canopy with Metal Halides?

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by ZOOH, Feb 7, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ZOOH

ZOOH Plankton

Hey guys,

My tank has no lid right now, it just has a sunpod on its stands over it....with the top open, there's ALOT of evaporation and I'm getting tired of adding freshwater to it all the time (almost daily).

My tank is 36"x15". Does anyone know where I can get a canopy for it that's tall enough so that I can hang my sunpod on the inside, and also has holes for ventilation. Or will I have to settle for a glass or acrylic lid to lay across the top of the tank opening?....Does anyone know where I can buy one of those too? Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. Dador

Dador Coral Banded Shrimp

Mmmmm. Canopy or no canopy you'll be adding water. Check out some of the posts on auto top off. The open top is really preferable to a solid top. Your gas exchange will be compromised by covering the tank. The evaporation is normal. Heat issues will also start to rear up when you close the top in.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  4. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

a canopy might look good but won't help with evaporation... your lights take care of that pain in the neck. a lid greatly compromises gas exchange so I know it is not recommended. auto top off is the way to go!

5. ZOOH

ZOOH Plankton

Thanks for the input guys. I'll look into an auto top off. Is it bad to be adding half a gallon to a gallon of freshwater everyday? How much is too much to add at once for a 55 gal tank?

6. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

is it bad to be adding 2 gallons of top off a day? i have 2 250w halides on a 55gal and thats how much i add. 1/2 gal is somewhat normal for halides on a 55gal,2X 150watters that is.

7. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

zooh:
    DIY the canopy for your lights and fans for ventilation
    dont lay acrylic or glass on the tank, it prohibits the gas exchange

aquaboy:
    theres nothing wrong with adding 20 gallons a day if thats your evaporation level depending on your climate as long as the water is ro/di and the salinity stays constant.

heres an aatoc for both of ya:
    Reef-Relief :: Automated Aquatic Top Off Controller

8. Click Here!

9. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

Im starting a 90 gallon all-glass mega flow aquarium, i have had a custom canopy & stand built and plan on using metal halide lighting (2x250watt). The Canopy is xtra high for the reason of the metal halides and cooling issues. My question is about the gas exchange, the back of the canopy is open and the top is a one piece piano hinged lid, i didnt want holes is the top of the canopy because of the light being able to escape and look like the sun rising in the room. I have a 4.5 inch hole driled on both side of the canopy (one sucking air in and one pushing is out using to fans that push 106cfm.) They are pretty powerful little fans, that should be enough air for sufficient cooling with gas exchange right? If i have to ill buy a chiller, my concern is about the gas xchange and some cooling. Im unsure about which lighting ill be using but im really leaning towards the aqua medic MH-T5 combo lighting. Any help is appreciated. btw, first post on 3 reef.

Thanks in advance
    Dennis

10. flounder

flounder Astrea Snail

you know, lots of people want high evaporation, (esp if u do not have a Ca reactor) so that u can dose kalk... so maybe this is not a problem at all

11. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

+1 to the above mentioned