Ballast replacement

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by morau89, Aug 19, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. morau89

morau89 Fire Shrimp

I have the T5HO x2 lighting fixture that totals 108watts. At first i was looking to upgrade by just purchasing a new fixture but i just realized that it might be possible to just replace the ballast that does not limit the current as much so i would be able to use a higher wattage bulb. Has anyone had experience with this? Is this a waste of time?

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

With T5 its the bulbs lenght that dictates the wattage . If you want more light add a longer tube

4. morau89

morau89 Fire Shrimp

my tank will not accomodate a longer tube so i was just thinking about trying to use this with my current fixture
    2 Lamp AS220 VHO Ballast Kit - AquaCave
    and of course the lamps that i will have to buy seperately.

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

What size tubes do you want to use on the VHO's ? Better ballast for less money can be gotten easliy about 1/2 the cost

6. morau89

morau89 Fire Shrimp

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

8. Click Here!

9. morau89

morau89 Fire Shrimp

I looked through them but i don't think there is a better price. Is that kit overpriced?

10. That Guy

That Guy Aiptasia Anemone

You can overdrive T5's if you want...i assume you have a 48inch fixture since you have two lamps and a total of 108Watts. If you use an ice cap 660 you can push like 19.25 more watts out of each tube. That would push you up to 146.5 watts out of those T5's...the downside is the lamps wont last as long....However that does leave you the option later to add more lamps if you wanted to retro fit them into a hood or switch to VHO's cause you would already have the ballast.

11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Not sure what kit you are refeering to being over priced ? But all you need is a ballast if you already have the caps and bulbs