800 watts metal halide lighting too much for 90 gallon?

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by caliwavsurfer, Dec 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. caliwavsurfer

caliwavsurfer Astrea Snail

I am planning on purchasing 2 hamilton reef star setups with 14000k bulbs at 400w each. Would this be too much lighting for my aquarium? I would like to house a full range of corals without having light limitations :)

2. Click Here!

3. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Do you know what the PAR values of your bulbs are going to be? I can answer your question if you know this value per bulb

4. infamous

infamous Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

yea 14000k bulbs are pretty intense, i would go with 250 watt.

if you go with 20000k you might be ok. i have a 120 gallon with 2 x 250w phoenix, im thinking about switching to 21000k bulbs

1 person likes this.
  5. caliwavsurfer

I wish I knew what the PAR was. I only know they are Hamilton bulbs. My tank is 48" long and 22" deep.

6. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

for hamilton 14K 250 watt bulbs, the PAR is around 338, depending on your ballast...

I would assume the PAR is slightly higher for 400 watt bulbs so you have enough light but you will probably have to either suspend the lights a little higher or else adjust any clrals gradually. If my memory serves correct, the average PAR of the ocean is around 600 so you should be a little high but still okay :)

1 person likes this.
  7. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

I am running 800 watts over our 72 bowed. You might want to but any mushrooms, zoas, duncans,lower in the tank. We have them all on the sand bed or low rock and they are doing great. We have Xenia growing like crazy. Oh, and our 2 year old LTA loves it....

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. caliwavsurfer

;D Thanks a bunch for your help!

10. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

I'm placing this post into the Lighting section to hopefully garner a quicker response.

11. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Yes PAR and What bulb with what ballast is very important. But the short answer IMO is YES 2X 400W MH is Great for a 90G tank. This will allow you to keep SPS, Clams and Anemones

J

12. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

You may need a chiller for this setup unless like a fellow reefer said you set the lights up higher. I would get some fans to cool off the water first. The evaporation will increase with the fans but it's cheaper than a chiller. Just a thought. I have all T5's in my 210 and everything grows well. But, many reefers prefer MH's for the shimmer and to keep hard corals. Good luck.