10K vs 14K

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by gobywankenobi, Jul 28, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gobywankenobi

gobywankenobi Plankton

hey guys
    just wondering if anybody could tell me if there is a huge diffrence in blue tones between a 10kMH and a 14KMH. I sure this probably varies somewhat between brands. I'm also curious about how high MH's should be mounted in a well-ventilated canopy with the glass lids of the tank.

2. Click Here!

3. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

Yes there is a noticable difference in 10 k and 14k bulbs. The 14k will be more of a blue color.
    I can't really tell you how high to mount the lights but I can tell you if you run MH bulbs over a tank with glass tops you're going to have serious heat issues unless you're running a chiller.

My MH bulbs are mounted about 14 inches above the water. Hope that helps.

4. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Go with 14k's. 10k's will be more of a yellow look. I have mine adjustable but keep them 11" to 13" off the water surface.

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

You really can't go by K values at all I have a Aqualine Busk 14K that looks like a 10K its trash and a very expensive bulb about 129.00 retail , I like the 14 that are more blue or the 15 K X-M they are the same color at a 14 K SPS brand bulb.. as for height ? High enough so no water will ever touch them POP! Like Otty suggested at least 10 to 12 inches is rule of thumb

6. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

Ok I have mixed emotions about this. I like the looks of 14 k but I love the growth I get from my 10 k hamiltons. Also IMO 10k is way more natural. I did my own little test where I looked a piece of rock over real well while it was in my tank under 10k's, I then took that same piece of rock out side and put it in a 10 gallon tank I had full of saltwater (prepped for water change) and could hardly tell any difference in color of the rock. it may have been just a little greener under the 10 k but not much. IMO 14 k does make the coral and tank look better by giving it the bluer spectrum.

7. cannedmulder

cannedmulder Teardrop Maxima Clam

I will tell you I like both. Ihave one 14 and one 10 over my tank. I think IMHO that it gives it more of an ocean look because the light isn't always the same there so why should it be in my tank. Then I also have some corals that like less light on one side and more light on the other side. However I am also following advise from a cat with a rubix cube....what more can be said?

8. Click Here!

9. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

It's not necessarily more light. You honestly can't judge it by what you see. i can tell you that those 14k's (blue) are more intense right now just because of the age of the bulbs. Now if you did a new 10 k on that end it would WOW your tank. Just because it's blue doesn't mean it's less light. BTW you are the one who said you like the look and I said it wouldn't hurt anything and it does look pretty cool. BTW I think it might be pretty cool to put another piece of that same monti under that 10 k at the same height and see if there's a growth difference over a couple of months.

10. ssgheislerswife

ssgheislerswife Ritteri Anemone

Look at you, turning her tank into your own little science experiment!!!

11. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I'm an opportunistic scientist=) My whole livingroom is an experiment. I need to expand

12. cannedmulder

cannedmulder Teardrop Maxima Clam

Well I did say I liked the lights that way the best....I also can't afford a new light at $100 a pop.....It would be cool to experiment like that! I never meant it to sound like there is less light just that is how the eye perseves it. I like the 14 but the 10 just seems to make things pop out a little more. It is a little more sun like bright!