torch coral question

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by dirtydavenkc, May 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dirtydavenkc

dirtydavenkc Purple Spiny Lobster

i had to move a couple pieces of rock and my torch yesterday to help a snail that had flipped over. When i grabbed to torch which is branching with 5 branches, the branches were covered in a soft flesh like coating. the torch is doing fine i was wandering if this was normal.

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

i havent owned a torch coral, but i do own frog spawn. basically the same coral in my eyes. yes the soft part is the fleshy part that is still growing, eventually the fleshy part will die or move up from that area leaving calcium skeleton. so yes thats normal thats the living part of the coral or polyps. the part thats not fleshy and gooey is dead abandoned by the polyp to continue its growth..

4. Optimist

Optimist Peppermint Shrimp

If you are referring to the branch (skeleton) and not the fleshy polyp, it's normal as well. Mine (depending on the area) get like a slimey algea that isn't noticeable from the eye... the others have coraline on them... but it's normal.

5. dirtydavenkc

dirtydavenkc Purple Spiny Lobster

thanks guys i figured i was ok but wanted 2cd opinion. yeah you cant see the soft flesh but its there. i thought i had accidentally grabbed a stomatella snail or something. the coral looks good otherwise ( 4times the size i bought it 3 months ago)

Attached Files: