pagoda cup coral

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by billrwilson, Apr 29, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. billrwilson

billrwilson Fire Worm

i just bought a pagoda cup coral its a bright yellow. every thing i look up on it they say something differant. anyone ever have one how easy is it and does it grow slow or fast and what should i keep the calcium level at mine now is at 420ppm the only other hard coral i have is a bubble coral.

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

From MarineDepot Live:

Also known as: Bowl Coral, Cup Coral, Octopus Coral, Scroll Coral, Vase Coral, Lettuce Coral

The Turbinaria, Pagoda Coral has a green color. Large polyp stony coral (LPS). It likes to eat filter feeding invert food, brine shrimp, micro-plankton a few times per week, when open. The Turbinaria species is generally peaceful toward other tankmates. Many consider the Turbinaria species a low-maintenance specimen. Has moderate lighting needs. The Pagoda Cup Coral, Bowl Coral, Cup Coral, Octopus Coral, Scroll Coral, Vase Coral, Lettuce Coral requires moderate water flow. Symbiotic algae zooxanthellae are hosted within this organism. Turbinaria mesenterina (Lamarck 1816). Pagoda Coral to hobbyists, Bowl, Cup, Lettuce, Scroll Coral to the trade. Indo-Pacific, Red Sea to Polynesia. Colonies laminar, more convoluted in shallow waters to upright in deeper water. The lack of success with this family is principally due to two factors, for the azooxanthellate Tubastrea et al. genera, a lack of feeding (or provision for the consequences thereof), and for the photosynthetic Turbinaria, a general lack of "promotion"... they're easily kept, as long as maintained off the bottom and swept/blown clean of detritus and mucus. Keep water quality high.

4. seawillow

seawillow Coral Banded Shrimp

I puchased a Pagoda from work a few weeks ago....actually I thought that it may have been on it's way out....It seems to be happy and thriving in my tank, though. I'm thrilled with it. Craig covered just about all you'll need to know...good luck!! This pic was taken two days after I purchased it...looking much better now!!

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2005
  5. billrwilson

billrwilson Fire Worm

well i think i got ripped off. i was at another shop in another town and saw one but it had a solid skin like thing over the whole top of it like the polyps were all connected but on mine there are just a bunch of hole in the skeleton where little tiny polyps are sticking out but not fully. the whole thing is a bright yellow even the polyps look like they are yellow to. ill try to post a pick tomarrow if i can.

6. billrwilson

billrwilson Fire Worm

here is the pic of it is it dead dieing or what? been in my tank 2 days now like i said the yellow is all hard skelleton with the little polyps in those holes.

Attached Files:

7. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

i think i know what ur talking about...most of the yellow ones i see r closed at the store but...imo it just takes time...u might also need to upgrade ur lights...i have one in my tank its kind of a yellow brown color...when i first got it the polyps bearly came out, now they r sticking very far out and r extended good :) hope ur coral opens...but just realize that even with good specs of ur tank corals do take time :)