How do favias grow?

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Sadie, Mar 2, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Sadie

Sadie Coral Banded Shrimp

are they like a mat, like GSP or is more like an acan and grow in a ball? All the pictures I've seen, they just show a close up, not the whole thing so I can't picture what it will look like.

If anyone wants to post a pic. of their favia, I wouldn't mind a bit::)

2. Click Here!

3. tank1970

tank1970 Bubble Tip Anemone

Here you go
    From what I understand they grow in a dome shape and will shape to the water flow.
    faviasmallweek2.jpg

closedbrain2s.jpg

4. jrwoltman

jrwoltman Skunk Shrimp

Mine is finally starting to grow; I am so psyched!!! It is growing like a mat off of its plug onto the rock that it is in direct contact with.

5. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

If there's rock next to it, it'll pretty much grow over onto it, encrust, then grow up and out. It may also just grow up, then new polyps will form on the bare sides, if there's no rock for it to grow out onto. Typically, it'll be ball/dome shaped as the colony gets of sufficient size to see the macro growth form. Most faviids are "massive" corals, meaning they pretty much just mass up a giant skeleton underneath them, and grow into huge colonies given the time.

This is one faviid, goniastrea. Notice the polyps growing down the side on the right, and the polyps on the left growing out onto the rock:
    [​IMG]

Here's a FTS where you can see the other Goniastrea on the left growing out onto its own sides:
    [​IMG]

6. Sadie

Sadie Coral Banded Shrimp

Cool picture, I love when the tenticle things come out.

Congrats on the growing. I'm hoping I won't see the plug once it starts growing.

I saw the second picture on another thread. You have some cool corals. I love the droopy one dripping off the rock!!

So basicly, they grow like the Blob!:cheesy: Cool.
    Thanks for the pictures everyone.

7. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

The drooper is the faviid I was talking about ;D

8. Click Here!

9. progman2000

progman2000 Astrea Snail

Hey that one looks familiar (love this guy by the way, my favorite by far)
    :)