Help Ring Around Brain???

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by Drboomson, Apr 6, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Drboomson

Drboomson Flamingo Tongue

So my red brain is developing a pinkish ring around the green section...The first photo was taken about a month ago and the 2nd today, there is obvious growth. i fear bleaching but cant confirm....had the coral for 3-4 months no major changes with lighting ect.....Can anyone tell me what this is from??

Salinity 1.025
    Mag 1400
    Calc 460
    Alk 9.8
    ph 8.2-8.3
    Temp 79
    Phosphates Undetectible

Amonia/Nitrites/ 0
    nitrates <2ppm

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Ducncover

Ducncover Skunk Shrimp

4. Drboomson

5. Ducncover

Ducncover Skunk Shrimp

Looks slightly bleached in the first photo but more so in the second, I'm not familiar with your light set up, but I have a very similar brain coral in my tank and it is dead center underneath my LED light on the sand bed as well . And seemed to expand more when I turned up the intensity on my fixture. 3-4 months in your system it should be acclimated to your lights by now. Sorry I'm not much help. Hope someone else has an answer for you.

6. kstafford003

kstafford003 Feather Star

This is how mine looked when I had one when it was starting to die. I don't think too much light is the cause. I think phosphates killed mine. I see that you listed phosphates at zero but it could be possible phosphates are still in the system. Are you running any type of reactor? Fuge? Do you have any bad algae spots in the tank? Are you running carbon?

7. Drboomson

running brs duel with high capacity gfo and rox carbon...the thing is its definetly grown over the past 4mos and noticable within the last month but just worried about the ring...heres my other one as u can see nothing wrong with him

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

I'm not sure I notice any difference between your first and second picture in your first post. The coral looks okay imo.

What are your water parameters?

10. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

The params are in first post. He doesn't look much different in the two pics. I would just continue feeding and leave him be. It looks healthy other than a little bleaching.

11. kstafford003

kstafford003 Feather Star

How does your temperature look? Temperature can also be a bleaching trigger. Is your temperature fluctuating?

12. Drboomson

my temp is 79 and fluctiates less than .5 degree a day...thnx for the comments the white area around the green has recently changes to purple so all is good