Frogspawn growths question

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by musarra, Mar 9, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. musarra

musarra Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have a frogspawn coral (non-branching) and its been making tiny little buds all along its base below the main polyp(?). Is it possible for a non-branching to become branching or will these little polyps not get enough light and just die? Or is that just how they grow and at some point these little buds will join the main polyp?

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Without an image hard to say for sure, but yes that is how they reproduce by budding. When you say non-branching are you referring to, a frogspawn that is small and has not grown large enough for branches or a E. Divisa species. If E. Divisa it will just grow a larger base skeleton with more polyps.

4. musarra

I have no idea what species it is. THe only pictures i can get are with a crappy camera phone (i know i need a camera and they are not that expensive) that someone said was worthless a few days ago lol. Its basically about 2 inches in diameter and an oval shape when the tentacles are fully retracted. Its growing off of a similar piece of LR (imagine a single tiered cake) so I'm assuming its a non-branching species by default not because it was cut that way. The new buds look as if they are growing out of the soft tissue of the original polyp. (or at the base where the soft tissue meet the stony part)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  5. musarra

heres the picture the buds look like the tiny thing on the left side of the picture (bottom of coral about 3:00 in the pic). Unfortunately technology has foiled me again and macs apparently have no photo editing software. lame.

How can I tell the difference? the term the store used was a wall frogspawn if that means anything new.

Attached Files:

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

7. musarra

Wow cool thanks for posting that (i have been killing the slug things on my glass for about a week now using my magnet then scoping them out :( I do feel bad about that). But none of the people really have the crappy single coral brick I have lol. I guess I'll leave it alone and see what happens apparently the buds will drop off on their own accord.