Dead LPS come back?

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by SaltyClown, Mar 9, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SaltyClown

SaltyClown Sea Dragon

I've seen that if you leave a dead disc coral in your tank, it can make dozens of babies in a few months to a year. Does forgspawn do the same thing? Or any other LPS corals?

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

The Lazarus Effect is well documented in Fungiidae. I've seen other species come back to life over time so I'm never in a hurry to throw away skeletons. I've don't think I've ever seen Frogspawn or other Euphyllia come back. I've seen other species come back from a single polyp that one day just appears, and then spreads.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Personally I have not seen the euphyllias make the same type of come back as other LPS.

Most commonly I have seen plates, brains, blasto, favia, but none of the euphyllias like hammer, frog spawn, torch.

Interesting to see what others have to say.

Just for clarification, I believe the pieces must have remainded in sw, and have tissue remaining (while most likely tiny or microscopic) to regenerate.

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I've got some open brain (i forget what type) that is doing this for the second time. Goes to where there's maybe one spec of color on all the bone and then some months later is suddenly huge and puffed again. No idea what its problem is but it definitely comes back from the brink.