Turning LR to Base Rock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Zero_Dude, Apr 6, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

I'm not having any luck getting rid of my live rock, so I'm just going to turn it back to "dead" rock and store it, that way I can shut down my tank. My only concern is.. I can't kill the snails/brittle stars in the rock. Is there a way to get the all off/out of the rock before I start the process?

2. Click Here!

3. kstafford003

kstafford003 Feather Star

I wished you lived in my town so I could get the brittle stars from you. I really like the mini brittle stars. But honestly I don't think it's possible to get the fauna out of the rocks. Maybe a good shaking underwater but these creatures are built to resist being dislodged by water. Hopefully someone else will have a better idea.

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

You'll be sacrifycing something- the bacteria, the other critters, good luck.

When you're ready I'd soak it in a bleach solution, maybe 1/2-1 cup per gallon of tap?
    Outdoors! Then after a few days, spray wash with high pressure hose, garden hose with nozzle, etc- again outdoors, then dry thoroughly- out doors, then store the white base rock?

5. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Dont worry abotu it. Unless you have nitrate or phosphate issues you are already dealing with than leaving the little critters in there will help start the cycle when you go to use the rock again in the future instead of havign to add shrimp tot he tank.

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I remember reading one member mentioning to put rock into very low salinity water and that that can help get some critters to come out. Not sure if it works but it sure makes sense and is worth a try!

7. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

Thanks for the suggestions! But I decided to just put an ad to give away the live stuff for free. I want it gone! It's just a burden now :p

8. Click Here!

9. JohnnyBoy

JohnnyBoy Purple Spiny Lobster

I had to do the same when I shut down my 75 reef but truthfully, there will be casualties. There is just some that hid a bit too good. I just started soaking the rock in saltwater 3 days ago after 3 years in storage and all the debri falling out of them is floating to the top and sinking to the bottom and i could see that it was from the leftover critters on board the rock when they were left to dry.

10. Zero_Dude

Zero_Dude Fire Shrimp

Finally got rid of the live stuff last night