Which one is better?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Gus, Jul 29, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Gus

Gus Astrea Snail

Getting ready to seed 160lbs of Diy base rock. Want to get thoughts and opinions about premo gulf rock with all the reef critters or the ugly LFS stuff that only comes with bacteria?

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

My opinion is

assuming you have made some very nice shapes of DIY rock , then the rock you want to add is mainly for seeding purposes

bacteria is the most important of the things you might want to seed
    sure coralline is also nice (but can become a nuisance later)

I would go with the bacteria laden LFS rock in order to try and avoid introducing unwanted organisms and potential pests

Steve

4. reefermadnes

reefermadnes Bristle Worm

I agree with steve you might get pest that you wish you never got later down the road. If it were me I wouldnt put any live rock in it I would just use some liquid bacteria and let it cycle.

5. reefermadnes

reefermadnes Bristle Worm

If you do decide to get some live rock it might be a good idea to soak it in some ro water for 10-15 minutes to get rid of a lot of hitchhicker, then any of the die off left in the rock will help cycle your tank.

6. Gus

Gus Astrea Snail

ok thanks folks..... anybody else

7. APC

APC Gigas Clam

I would use whatever is cheaper...and most importantly which piece looks best with your aqua scape. I used half dry rock and half aquacultured Florida rock in my first tank...and it went very well. On my next tank I just took rock from my first and added it to more dry rock. You do run the risk of unwanted hitchhikers...but you also get some really cool stuff too...like feather dusters, spaghetti worms, etc. which I personally like. Last thing I would say is try to go the aquacultured route if you can.

8. Click Here!

9. Gus

Gus Astrea Snail

I am for sure going with the aquacultured if we go that route we are still shopping around getting ideas. Looking at what LFS have to offer there are just not many good ones around Central Pa. that carry nice looking rock. Most of our DIY rock work is large custom interlocking pieces with caves and overhangs (will post pics after the finish the tap water cure if I can figure out how to up load em). Any suggestions on shops around central Pa and maryland that are reputiable.

10. Gus

Gus Astrea Snail

Still waiting for the Ph to fall on my DIY base rock any ideas to get it to drop a little quicker its been 6 weeks now ahhhhh