Live rock wall veneer?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by robwerden, Jul 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. robwerden

robwerden Feather Duster

So in fresh water tanks you have fake rock walls to create the illusion of a undersea cave or scene like these
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

In reef tanks your limited to tons of labor like this

[​IMG]

Which consists of lots of dry rock, egg crate, zip ties and foam sealant.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So the question is, who has got the Live Rock veneer for sale so you can have the ease of install like the fresh water people have, but with the undersea coral habitat like the super talented and super patient ziptie whipping aqua scaper has?

I imagine I could use a diamond blade and start chopping up calcium carbonate rock into veneers and start gluing them on a sheet of acrylic, but I think most people want to get it done a bit faster than that.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. 32Boom

32Boom Coral Banded Shrimp

I was actually just thinking about this today. That's a good idea.

4. trelane

trelane Peppermint Shrimp

Honestly, this is a lot of work to do a little bit of, but it scales easily, especially if you can find large oddly shapen and light pieces of calcium based rock. A sheet to cover the back of a 120 gallon aquarium could easily run $100+. Might be a moneymaker.

5. Geoff

Geoff Teardrop Maxima Clam

Atoll Reef Deco has overflow panels made of live rock and has a hole in it to hide a powerhead. I have no idea where you could buy these though.

[​IMG]

6. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

I have the saw.... but flat chunks of live rock... meh... probably look kinda lame. Why not just use coarse sand and LR rubble?

If you want some live and/or base rock cut up I could get you a price...

7. Da_Gopherboy

Da_Gopherboy Fire Shrimp

Man, those pictures look great! Someone needs to post the instructions on how to make those. If someone does I'm going to redo my tank :)

8. Click Here!

9. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

I love it.......
    How to do would rock....
    Danny

10. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

This is great. I think I would also do this to my tank if there is a how to. The only thing that might get tricky is the places to put corals. The last time I changed my rocks when after otty and av8 did some designs and 8 hrs of drilling cutting pvc and zip ties I had a creation.

11. robwerden

robwerden Feather Duster

I was hoping someone already made them. I guess if you want to DIY the ziptie method is best, I was hoping someone had seen the market for this not as a replacement for live rock but as a way to cover the back wall of the tank so you didnt have to stack rock that high to cover it.

For me I would prefer to arrange my LR along the bottom with a few peaks and make it seem more natural. In nature you dont see 100 pcs of rock stacked up.

12. Geoff

Geoff Teardrop Maxima Clam

Hard to get flow behind rock stacked up against back glass and probably problems down the road.