Live rock vs. Base rock Qs

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by coldshot, Feb 22, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

At the LFS they have old white coral rock . If I buy a bunch of those how long will it take before it is considered live rock?

And if base rock will become live rock and is more cost effective, Then why all the hype over live rock?

What are the dangers of me putting pre-cured live rock in a tank with a few peices of livestock?

Last question. What exactly constitutes live rock. Is it a bacteria from the rock or is it based on the algae on the rock or both?

2. Click Here!

3. coldshot

And one more thing. I am to the understanding that if you buy base rock and it is believed to have become live rock, corals and other things that require live rock will not stand on it such as blankets and shrooms. My understanding is they need actual live rock. Right or wrong?

4. rodcpierce

rodcpierce Ritteri Anemone

From my understanding, once it grows bacteria. and/or algae its Live.

Its already "live" and housing bacteria that is vital to the tank

there is a chance that the tank could start another "cycle"

Both

5. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

It will start to become LR in a few months. I personally would go all base rock IMO. Not only is it cheaper but you know EXACTLY what is going in your tank, no unwanted hitchhikers. LR could be holding anything in it that you can't see, bubble algae, byropsis, etc.

6. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

I believe its considered live when it has some color to it and it has beneficial bacteria on it

cycles tank faster and it already has beneficial bacteria on it

none at all

mostly the beneficial bacteria you wouldn't want algae on new live rock unless it was Coraline algae

7. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Ok, it's very easy. All live rock is, is rock that has been through a cycle and has bacteria colonized on it that will consume ammonia and nitrites. That's it. It doesn't matter what algae is on it. You really don't want anything hitchhikers.

The dangers of putting precured lr into your tank that is already set up is that it will restart a cycle and kill your livestock.

Wrong. Rock is rock is rock

All you need to get base rock to be live rock is to cycle it, so about 4 weeks, but it depends on how long your cycle takes.

8. Click Here!

9. coldshot

So I can buy base rock and it will become live rock in a couple months. If I add it now it will start a new cycle. Right or wrong? If thast is the case every time I put rock in my tank will recycle and every time any thing else fish coral or whatever there is a mini cycle. Right or wrong. If I put in pre-cured LR why would it kill my livestock if LR is so benificial? If I do it then what type of hitchhickers would I worry about?

10. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

The different hitchhikers are numerous. Anything that can hide in a rock is a possible suspect. If you cure the base rock before you put it in and then add a little at a time this will minimize any harmful effects on the tank.

11. rodcpierce

rodcpierce Ritteri Anemone

From my understanding, this is not correct. Since base rock is dry, it requires no cure time. Just clean it will with bush and fresh water before you stick it in the tank. I belive ONLY live rock will trigger a cycle.

I dont think the tank cycles when fish or coral are added. Just rock.

It will kill the livestock because of the cycle that it starts. Not much can make it trough a cycle of high levels. Also hitch hikers like shrimp, worms, anything that is a hazard to the tank.

12. coldshot

SO it will kill the livestock with things like unexpected spikes and things of that nature right?