Live Rock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by mirosh, Oct 22, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

Hello All,

I am adding live rock to my tank now.  I have a 35 gal. tank and got 20 lbs from my LFS (fiji cured rock, so I was able to place it right in the tank and they just recommended syphoning off the extra dead stuff when im done with the nitrogen cycle).  If I wanted to add more rock to the tank, does it have to be fiji rock or can I add Florida Rock?  I have noticed that on saltwaterfish.com they have very nice florida live rock that is actually cheaper than my LFS's fiji live rock.  What are your suggestions?  Also, do I have to cure the florida live rock that comes from saltwaterfish.com?  And how do I go about the curing process????  I want to get rid of the bad stuff...but keep the good stuff on the rock!  Any specifics you can provide would be great...Im having a hard time understanding the rock situation and don't have the funds to set up a whole new curing tank! Also, would you recommend perhaps adding some sand activator and/or hermit blue leg hermit crabs to the DSB to speed up the nitrogen cycle???

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

It's really up to you. The Florida rock is typically denser than the Fiji rock. MOre porous = more surface area. Personally I'd stick with Fiji if money is not an issue. If money is, then get some Florida rock. Since it's not shipped as far, there is not as much die off on the Florida rock and you don't have to cure it as much. It does have some hitchhikers though from what I've read.

These two types of rocks are actually covered very well in the latest issue of Freshwater and Marine Aquarium Magazine (FAMA). Worth picking up:

matt

4. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

Thanks for the response, I will definately check out that magazine, but it didn't really address my questions...would there be any problems with having both types of rock in my 35? And how do I go about "curing" the rock...PLEASE refer to my first post!

Thanks,
    Mike

5. hoodoo

hoodoo Fire Shrimp

no, mix and match as you like

6. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

And as far as the blue leg hermits go??? Should I get some to aid in the cleaning/nitrogen process?

-Mike

7. reiple

reiple Fire Shrimp

Hermit crabs clean up leftover food and any decaying/dying matter. Rather good in this aspect. I guess you can say they aid the nitrogen process as it never gets there since it eats the protien matter before decaying.

8. Click Here!

9. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I have 3 blue legs that are banned to the fuge. They kept bothering my green star polyps. Now, whether they were eating it or just crawling on top if it I cannot tell but my polys kept closing up. I have a dozen reds in the tank now and have no problems at all with the polyps! ;D

10. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

Are those reds actual scarlets?

[​IMG]

11. hoodoo

hoodoo Fire Shrimp

yeah, but birdlady was talking about red legs (I think). Skarlets are pretty but a lot more expensive.