floridaliverock.com, gulf-view.com live rock curing questions.

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by thumper_1151, Jan 29, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. thumper_1151

thumper_1151 Plankton

I am looking at purchasing my live rock from floridaliverock.com I am going to buy 135lbs to start my 135 gallon reef tank. I called and spoke with the owner and he told me that the rock is kept wet untill shipment. Then they wrap it in wet bounty paper towels and will have it airline transported same day to my local airport for pick up. He claims since it is kept wet and will only be in transit for a max of 8-12 hours there will be little to no die off, therefor not much of a cycle. I have been reading a lot about this rock and from what I have read everyone was happy, LOTS OF LIFE ON ROCk! Please see this thread for examples. http://www.3reef.com/forums/show-off-your-fish-tanks/sessionthrees-110g-tank-53773.html
    now to my questions

1: I know there will be at least a small amonia spike so I know I will need to let the tank cycle. Can I use just the die off from the rock to cycle my tank?

2: I know there are mixed opinions about using substrate when cycling, but since it will be a small cycle (acording to [email protected]) can I add the substrate at the time of adding the live rock? (see next question for what substrate)

3:I have 80 lbs of argonite sand and I wanted to seed it with 15-30 of live argonite sand, should I add the live sand or just let it seed itself off of the live rock?

4: Will 110 pounds be enough? I do not want a dsb!!! However I would like to eventually have a goby or other small sand sifter. My tank is 72"x18"x24"

5: Should I leave The skimmer run from day 1 or not turn it on imediatly? I have 2 different skimmers turboflotor blue 1000 (rated 125 gallons), and a turboflotor t1000 (rated 250 gallons)

6: Should I run both skimmers or just one?

7: How long should I run my lights during the cycle? I know it is normally not recomended but because of the life I was thinking it might be needed. I have a 6x80w t5 fixture on order.

Thank you for all of your help in advance. I just want to make sure everything is done right the first time.

2. Click Here!

3. awa1979

awa1979 Astrea Snail

1: I know there will be at least a small amonia spike so I know I will need to let the tank cycle. Can I use just the die off from the rock to cycle my tank?

I always use the ammonia from the die off to cycle, have never had an issue yet.