ad-button

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2008, 08:46 PM
Purple Spiny Lobster

Skin: Mint
tinnghe has a reputation beyond reputetinnghe has a reputation beyond reputetinnghe has a reputation beyond reputetinnghe has a reputation beyond reputetinnghe has a reputation beyond reputetinnghe has a reputation beyond reputetinnghe has a reputation beyond reputetinnghe has a reputation beyond reputetinnghe has a reputation beyond reputetinnghe has a reputation beyond reputetinnghe has a reputation beyond repute

gallery
Default diy live rock pvc stand

i was wondering, have anyone seen some pic of how they construct the stand for the rock? what kind of cement for the pvc should i use?
tinnghe is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!
Old 03-28-2008, 02:20 AM   #2
Coral Banded Shrimp

Frizza has a spectacular aura aboutFrizza has a spectacular aura about

gallery

Your normal PVC cement should be fine as far as I'm aware, if not then I'm sure someone will chip in. Usually a frame will be a U shape so that the rocks at the top will not topple over, e.g. the U shape is on it's side (hope that makes sense)!
You then need to drill holes in your rock and then feed them into the PVC tubing and stick into place. I think it sounds more difficult than it actually is. I have seen a few pics where there has been some fantastic rock overhangs and can be very effective. I suppose the only tricky bit is planning where all the rocks will go.

Found a picture on this site of someones frame they built:
PVC frame for Live Rock - 3reef Photos

This thread is also great, get to page 2 and you will see how he constructed his rock with lots of pics too. In fact I have never seen this method before and it's pretty cool:
My 220 build - Vivid Aquariums Forums

Good luck and post some pics so we can see how you get on.

Last edited by Frizza; 03-28-2008 at 05:41 AM.
Frizza is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-28-2008, 05:36 AM   #3
Skunk Shrimp

target001 has helped out a lot around heretarget001 has helped out a lot around here

gallery

if i was going to do it i wouldnt use cement as there is no water under presure flowing threw the pvc, id just use the conecters, elbows etc to slap it together
target001 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-28-2008, 08:41 AM   #4
Finback Whale

reef_guru has a reputation beyond reputereef_guru has a reputation beyond reputereef_guru has a reputation beyond reputereef_guru has a reputation beyond reputereef_guru has a reputation beyond reputereef_guru has a reputation beyond reputereef_guru has a reputation beyond reputereef_guru has a reputation beyond reputereef_guru has a reputation beyond reputereef_guru has a reputation beyond reputereef_guru has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 

gallery

the rock either sits on the pvc or the pvc goes through the rock. use silicone instead of cement
reef_guru is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-28-2008, 09:40 AM   #5
Skunk Shrimp

GeejEx is a splendid one to beholdGeejEx is a splendid one to beholdGeejEx is a splendid one to beholdGeejEx is a splendid one to beholdGeejEx is a splendid one to beholdGeejEx is a splendid one to beholdGeejEx is a splendid one to behold

contributor 

gallery

Random thought I had- there is the normal white pvc and then there is the dark gray underground rated kind. I was planning to use gray as it would be less visible, but I believe its UG conduit, and therfore not water-quality rated. Any plumbers care to chime in? Sparky maybe?
GeejEx is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-28-2008, 09:55 AM   #6
Finback Whale

reef_guru has a reputation beyond reputereef_guru has a reputation beyond reputereef_guru has a reputation beyond reputereef_guru has a reputation beyond reputereef_guru has a reputation beyond reputereef_guru has a reputation beyond reputereef_guru has a reputation beyond reputereef_guru has a reputation beyond reputereef_guru has a reputation beyond reputereef_guru has a reputation beyond reputereef_guru has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 

gallery

you can use the grey pvc, euro reef does along with alot of other companies. the heavy duty bulkheads are the same material. its just plastic
Old 03-28-2008, 10:13 PM   #7
Purple Spiny Lobster

tinnghe has a reputation beyond reputetinnghe has a reputation beyond reputetinnghe has a reputation beyond reputetinnghe has a reputation beyond reputetinnghe has a reputation beyond reputetinnghe has a reputation beyond reputetinnghe has a reputation beyond reputetinnghe has a reputation beyond reputetinnghe has a reputation beyond reputetinnghe has a reputation beyond reputetinnghe has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

what kind of silicone? the glass one?
Old 03-28-2008, 10:32 PM   #8
Finback Whale

3reefer 

gallery

Quote:
what kind of silicone? the glass one?
aquarium glass silicone, you dont want to cement it if you have to take it apart later on, but the silicone will hold it good enough for a sturdy structure
Old 03-28-2008, 10:43 PM   #9
Purple Spiny Lobster

gallery

does drilling the pipe to let water in and out of the pipe seem to be a good idea?
Old 03-28-2008, 10:46 PM   #10
Finback Whale

3reefer 

gallery

Quote:
does drilling the pipe to let water in and out of the pipe seem to be a good idea?
i would with holes about 1/4-3/8" every couple inches that way the pvc structure wont be compromised and will allow the water to not become stagnet in the pipe. also allows a place for copopods to multiply

Click Here!