Curing live rock question

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Ropski, Dec 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ropski

Ropski Astrea Snail

Hoping to get me tank up by this next month, i have 70lbs substrate, 50lbs lace rock and once i get my RO/DI unit get my 30lbs live rock to seed. when i fill my tank up i was going to let the dust settle in the tank, make sure everything works correctly, make adjustments for flow rate ...ect.

My question is after i fill my tank and everything before i start my cycle could i put my LR in right from my LFS without curing it since my tank is not cycled yet? Will this cause a cycle itself? Will this incline more die off than curing it and introducing it in my tank after it has been cycled with a shrimp?

2. Click Here!

3. skiergd011013

skiergd011013 Peppermint Shrimp

yes. put the dry rock in...and get a chunk or two of cured rock to seed the dry rock.

4. Ropski

Ropski Astrea Snail

would this start my cycle then? or would i still need to drop in a raw shrimp?

5. skiergd011013

skiergd011013 Peppermint Shrimp

if you put the cured rock into the new tank it will cycle it. i put a raw shrimp in mine to get the ammonia up faster...hence a quicker cycle.

1 person likes this.
  6. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

yup, the shrimp is not needed to start the cycle, but it will kick the bacterial bloom into overdrive and speed things up :)

1 person likes this.