ad-button

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2011, 01:09 PM
Astrea Snail

Skin: Mint
bernokarl is on a distinguished road

gallery
Default Copper / Live Rock ...

Ok : I KNOW if you copper live rock it will be destroid/dead . I am not a scientist and I suspect no one else here is either . SO : If I weed the copper 100% out my water ~~

( I understand it will never come off the rock that was present at the time of copper in water because it attaches it's self )

~~ And add A new piece of live rock , will it sustain the benificial bacteria or will it die just because at one time there was copper in the water ?

I would bet the new live rock will live and the copperd old rock will never turn live again (but I do not know) I dont have a microscope or the patience to test , Lets talk ...

Last edited by bernokarl; 01-25-2011 at 05:04 PM.
bernokarl is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!
Old 01-25-2011, 04:42 PM   #2
Banned

bvb-etf-luva has a reputation beyond reputebvb-etf-luva has a reputation beyond reputebvb-etf-luva has a reputation beyond reputebvb-etf-luva has a reputation beyond reputebvb-etf-luva has a reputation beyond reputebvb-etf-luva has a reputation beyond reputebvb-etf-luva has a reputation beyond reputebvb-etf-luva has a reputation beyond reputebvb-etf-luva has a reputation beyond reputebvb-etf-luva has a reputation beyond reputebvb-etf-luva has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

dont use copper in the tank, in the future you are going to want to buy corals and you wont be able to because copper will stay in the tank forever, ow good its cleaned
bvb-etf-luva is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-25-2011, 05:12 PM   #3
Barracuda

SushiGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSushiGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSushiGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSushiGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSushiGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSushiGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSushiGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSushiGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSushiGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSushiGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSushiGirl has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

You're half right. The old rock will never be live again. But the new live rock won't stay live with anything still in the tank that will leach copper.

And actually I'm pretty sure there's quite a few scientists here .
SushiGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-25-2011, 05:13 PM   #4
Banned

Skin: Dark
TheSaltwaterGuy has a reputation beyond reputeTheSaltwaterGuy has a reputation beyond reputeTheSaltwaterGuy has a reputation beyond reputeTheSaltwaterGuy has a reputation beyond reputeTheSaltwaterGuy has a reputation beyond reputeTheSaltwaterGuy has a reputation beyond reputeTheSaltwaterGuy has a reputation beyond reputeTheSaltwaterGuy has a reputation beyond reputeTheSaltwaterGuy has a reputation beyond reputeTheSaltwaterGuy has a reputation beyond reputeTheSaltwaterGuy has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

Dude just don't use copper in the DT
TheSaltwaterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-25-2011, 05:20 PM   #5
Feather Star

PetMother has a reputation beyond reputePetMother has a reputation beyond reputePetMother has a reputation beyond reputePetMother has a reputation beyond reputePetMother has a reputation beyond reputePetMother has a reputation beyond reputePetMother has a reputation beyond reputePetMother has a reputation beyond reputePetMother has a reputation beyond reputePetMother has a reputation beyond reputePetMother has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

Don't do it. Copper stays on the old rock but if new rock is placed in, the copper will leach and have horrid effects on the new rock. If snail or other inverts are placed in the aquarium they won't last long either.
PetMother is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-25-2011, 05:25 PM   #6
Astrea Snail

bernokarl is on a distinguished road

gallery

So how many parts per millon can be held in a tank with out harming corl or crabs?? . I wish I had the resources to run some big bad test ...
I would thaink that after years or meny power washings that the ppm of copper would be so minute that it would not matter
bernokarl is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-25-2011, 05:48 PM   #7
Barracuda

SushiGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSushiGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSushiGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSushiGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSushiGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSushiGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSushiGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSushiGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSushiGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSushiGirl has a reputation beyond reputeSushiGirl has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernokarl View Post
So how many parts per millon can be held in a tank with out harming corl or crabs??
What's the point? If you're using it to get rid of parasites, then any amount too small to kill the coral or crabs would do nothing to the parasites either.

Power washings won't get rid of copper that has leached into rock. Leaching means the rock has soaked it up. It doesn't just wash off.
SushiGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-25-2011, 07:49 PM   #8
3reef Moderator

Corailline has a reputation beyond reputeCorailline has a reputation beyond reputeCorailline has a reputation beyond reputeCorailline has a reputation beyond reputeCorailline has a reputation beyond reputeCorailline has a reputation beyond reputeCorailline has a reputation beyond reputeCorailline has a reputation beyond reputeCorailline has a reputation beyond reputeCorailline has a reputation beyond reputeCorailline has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 
contributor 

gallery

I once did a survey regarding use of a tank after treatment with copper. The vast majority of those that responded stated that they had gone on to use the tank for corals and inverts without incidents of copper toxicity.

Would I risk using rock that had been used in a tank treated with copper, probably not. But I would use a tank that was used when treating with copper (not a quarantine), no problem. I believe the concept of copper leaching out of the sealant/silcone is a myth.
Corailline is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-25-2011, 08:20 PM   #9
Astrea Snail

broc1093 has a reputation beyond reputebroc1093 has a reputation beyond reputebroc1093 has a reputation beyond reputebroc1093 has a reputation beyond reputebroc1093 has a reputation beyond reputebroc1093 has a reputation beyond reputebroc1093 has a reputation beyond reputebroc1093 has a reputation beyond reputebroc1093 has a reputation beyond reputebroc1093 has a reputation beyond reputebroc1093 has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

I have a FOWLR tank About 4 months ago had a bad case of ich, not knowing I added copper to my tank and it killed my live rock and urchins but my emerald crab lived.2 months ago I moved my tank and only replaced the water. It caused a cycle again but my rock if fine now. I added a few pieces of new rock and everything looks good again, coralline growth ect. So I guess you can get over the effects and rock can still be good. I havnt had problems ever since it just cycled again
broc1093 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 01-25-2011, 09:16 PM   #10
3reef Moderator

Corailline has a reputation beyond reputeCorailline has a reputation beyond reputeCorailline has a reputation beyond reputeCorailline has a reputation beyond reputeCorailline has a reputation beyond reputeCorailline has a reputation beyond reputeCorailline has a reputation beyond reputeCorailline has a reputation beyond reputeCorailline has a reputation beyond reputeCorailline has a reputation beyond reputeCorailline has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 
contributor 

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by broc1093 View Post
I have a FOWLR tank About 4 months ago had a bad case of ich, not knowing I added copper to my tank and it killed my live rock and urchins but my emerald crab lived.2 months ago I moved my tank and only replaced the water. It caused a cycle again but my rock if fine now. I added a few pieces of new rock and everything looks good again, coralline growth ect. So I guess you can get over the effects and rock can still be good. I havnt had problems ever since it just cycled again
Interesting and good to know.

Corailline is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!