Aquascaping with LR & PVC

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Kas, Feb 26, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kas

Kas Bristle Worm

Hi Everyone!

I'm getting ready to start building my aquascaping (210G tank) and want to use the PVC method....where you hang the rock onto the PVC using plastic ties. I have a design drawn that I think will work OK...rock on both sides with an arch. I want the tank to look uncluttered and have good water flow. Can anyone offer advice or how-tos? Pics to share? I'd like to hear from someone that's already done this. Also, what size PVC would work best? Many thanks! Kathleen (KAS)

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

There is an article about this exact subject in the Marine Fish and Reef 2008 annual magazine. Hope this helps it's a cool article. Wish I was starting a new tank.

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

5. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Check out Otty's rock setup... there are some pics on here somewhere!!

My 265 Gal. Tank Thread

He glued all his rock and man does it look great!! Very open design and with the peninsula you can see 3 sides, nothing can hide! By far my fav. setup, if I ever go with a larger tank I will do something like this...

6. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Here is a pic of the "early days"

[​IMG]

7. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

its easily done with no glue
    drill holes in the rock for pvc, make your pvc structure, no zip ties needed.
    only your imagination holding you back

8. Click Here!

9. Kas

Kas Bristle Worm

Drilling the holes large enough in the rock to slide them onto the tubes sounds like a good idea. What size PVC should I use? I don't want massive rock formations....just something neat and simple. Also, should I use a concrete bit to drill the holes? Thanks! Kathleen (Kas)

10. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

You can also get acrylic dowels. This means you wouldn't need to drill such massive holes.
    you drill a 1/4" hole in 2 pieces of rock and cut the dowel to the correct size and use it as a pin.

J

11. Kas

Kas Bristle Worm

That's ingenious! Where would I find acrylic dowels? Can't remember seeing them in the home improvement stores. For the framework, would 3/4" PVC be large enough or should I use bigger? K-