Addin live rock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Daf700, Aug 4, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Daf700

Daf700 Plankton

Hey guys, iam new to this forum and the salt water hobby. I am in the process of setting up a 37 gallon tank. I would like to know how much live rock i can add to my new tank at a time. I want to eventually add 37 pounds. I was just curious if i could add it all at once, or have to add it in incraments over a period of time. I tried researching this subject but could not find the answer i am looking for. Also i am looking for a good cheap HOT protein skimmer as i do not have a sump because my aquarium is sitting on a dresser not an aquarium stand. Also and advice is much appreciated as i want to learn as much as possible before i start so i dont screw up and waste time and money. Thanks in advance-Matt.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef Matt.

A typical amount is 1 to 1.5# per gallon. It really all depends on what type of scape you eventually want.

I would add all rock if possible at the beginning. Adding it all initially allow for the cycle to assist in processing all the die off that may occur. You also start with a larger biological filter and all rock is seeded at the same time.

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef Matt.

I would suggest getting 5lbs to 10lbs of live rock and the rest dry rock. You will save yourself quite a bit of money. Definitely start with all of the rock you intend to have if at all possible.

5. Daf700

Daf700 Plankton

The live rock i intend on buying is 2.99 from my LFS so cost isnt really an issue. I also want to buy higher quality LR with tons of coraline algae, so it will spread to the other rock

6. Daf700

Daf700 Plankton

So all the live rock wont die if i introduce it all at once? And i aslo have my scape all planned out. I have extreme OCD when it comes to my tanks, so everything has to be purfect. The guy at my LFS also advise i do not add a skimmer for the first month. Is this a wise thing to do?

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

No it should be just fine.

Yes the gentleman at the LFS is correct regarding a skimmer, you do not need it during the initial cycle. This will give time to look around and find one you like.

8. Click Here!

9. Daf700

Daf700 Plankton

Yeah, ok thanks for all the advice i'm going on thursday to pick up my live rock then. Then ill probably buy a skimmer off Amazon.

10. SeminoleB

SeminoleB Coral Banded Shrimp

check out the Hydor slim skim. Doesn't have much of a footprint in the tank.

11. Daf700

Daf700 Plankton

Yeah, i was considering a hydor or a CPR bak pak 2