would these lights work well for my 125?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by SteelerMike, Mar 11, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SteelerMike

SteelerMike Feather Duster

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Sorry nah, these things pop up here and there. I've never heard a good thing about them after the first month, they tend to rust and then fail pretty soon form everything i've read about them.

4. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

Just judging by the cost, no. You can't buy even the drivers for a DIY built for that. If you are looking at cost effective. Check out boost led. Both the MU and the par bulbs are a good value and I have used both. Good luck!

5. CharlotteReefer

CharlotteReefer Coral Banded Shrimp

6. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

That one is an older version. The newer ones are 120 watt. I just replaced my 6 bulb TEK with two 120 watters over my 125 reef tank. I was very skeptical at first, but quite a few local reefers have switched to them. They are similar in PAR to the TEK, which really surprised me. They have three fans each, and run cooler than a DIY with passive cooling. The color from them is awesome, worth the price alone, IMO. I will say that the fans are loud. The fish room sounds like the inside of a tanning bed.

7. SteelerMike

hmmm... this is directly different form the posts above you. How long have you had them? And you are only using 2? My tank is 6 ft long I was assuming I would need 3, regardless of which brand I chose

8. Click Here!

9. newguy420

newguy420 Skunk Shrimp

I don't own these 120w versions but there are tons of threads about them and people who are ha ing good success with them. They are on eBay and run 55 3w LEDs at 2w. I strongly considered them just as a bridge for a year or so until better and cheaper LEDs come around.

10. SteelerMike

Good to hear that some are having success. The ones I linked are the 90w version. Are those not powerful enough?

11. newguy420

newguy420 Skunk Shrimp

I've never seen anything about the 90w lights but if you look at the 120w on eBay they they are a little less than the price in the link you posted. There is a popular thread in another forum site all about these lights with pics

1 person likes this.
  12. SteelerMike

cool thanks. I will do some research ;D