UV LED's

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Nismo400rgtr, Jan 20, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Nismo400rgtr

Nismo400rgtr Teardrop Maxima Clam

Just wanted opinions on what affect, if any, would UV LED's have on the bacteria fed by bio-pellets in the water column.

Lights in question- 1 watt Prolight UV LED sold by superbrightleds.com

I was thinking of adding maybe six of these to my 48inch long canopy.

2. Click Here!

3. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

I've read that the light doesn't really penetrate enough to do much damage, and adding 6 over a 48" area, I would think, should be fine. I have 12 or 16 in my LED setup...I can't remember...and have seen no ill effects.

EDIT: Make sure whatever drive you use will handle that LED. These will work with Mean Well's, just like the CREEs.

http://www.ledssuperbright.com/3w-led-c-11/3w-ultra-bright-uv-violet-led-p-187

4. damon

damon Sea Dragon

ya, I'm confused about the need for UV light in the DT at this point, but from what I've read it's very expensive to get high power uv leds that have much penetration.

5. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

It's really not much UV. Heck, the sun puts out a lot of uv and there is still plenty of bacteria in the ocean. Plus the leds, from what I understand are only uva. Most of the reviews I've heard though, suggest, for this reason, they don't do much if anything though, but, it isn't going to hurt anything to try.

6. damon

damon Sea Dragon

I do know they create some pretty nice pop to your corals, but I've always wondered if you could get that with any black light. I think a lot of people are worried that leds don't put of a good verity of light and want to use them because their worried that the coral will miss it.
    nismo, why do you want uv? is it for bacteria control or are you worried about this as a side effect from lights that you want for other reasons?

7. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Just to add, when I mentioned not doing much, I should clarify that. If you put enough of them, you would get a blacklight effect, but what's questionable, is whether or not there is enough uv to drive production of uv protective pigmentation.

8. Click Here!

9. Nismo400rgtr

Just looking to the broaden the spectrum of lighting I offer my corals.

My signature states I have 4 BoostLED bulbs. However, I've recently added some Crees's to supplement since I wanted to keep SPS and didn't think the four in the configuration I chose would cut it. I added 6 XRE blues( not royal blue) and run them solely before,during and then solely after my mains. I also added 3 Cree XRE cool whites near the center of the canopy where most my SPS are highest.

Just skeptical as the website for the prolights states max operating current at 500mA. The meanwell driver I'm going to use outputs 700mA. I'd imagine they'd just be brighter at the expense of slightly shorter life. Just didn't want to have a separate driver just for them.

I figured the six I plan on installing at the height they'd be from the water would have little effect on things. Just wanted to pick some brains ;)

Thanks for the responses everyone. Greatly appreciated.

10. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

If they're only rated for 500mA, 700 may burn them out instantly. I'd either dial back the driver, or use an inline resistor for that string.

11. damon

damon Sea Dragon

As far as I know leds have some of the best distance/power because they are a directional light source. It also depends on what optic you are using, if you use a 40 degree optic the height should not matter. How high are you thinking about running them?

12. Nismo400rgtr

I'll have to figure that one out. Been a while since I've messed with building circuits. Maybe I'll just hold off until I purchase one of the dimmable drivers and have my controller set-up ;). Thanks