Par30s worth it?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by jlongwell, Mar 14, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jlongwell

jlongwell Spaghetti Worm

So after the fiasco with my T5's (see this thread) and after realizing that I have significantly more cash thant I thought I did, I'm going to take this opportunity to purchase an entirely new fixture.

I've been looking at LED's, specifically the Par30s from boostled. They've currently got their lamp kits on a bit of a sale.

My first question - would two of these lamps over a 29 be sufficient for keeping most LPS and some lower-light loving SPS? As mentioned in the previous thread, the only SPS I keep are a birdsnest and monti (and I have no intention of ever keeping any of the more difficult species like acros, etc.). Would these bulbs be an improvement over my previous fixture?

Second, is there anything else out there that offers more bang-for-the-buck? Am I going to need any equipment other than the stuff supplied in their lamp kit thing? Would my money be better spent on a different LED option?

Finally, assuming the two previous questions don't eliminate these bulbs as an option, what color combination would you reccomend to aceive a 12-14k look? I'm entirely new to LEDs as an aquarium light, so I hardly know where to begin.

Does anyone have experience with these bulbs? Feel free to chime in with pros, cons, etc.

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. erik

erik Spaghetti Worm

I have 2 over my 28g, couldnt be happier. Since you only have 2 sps they should be fine as long as they are right under the bulbs. They are really spotlights and so if the corals are off to the side they might not get as much light as they need. I have a monti about ten inches under mine that loooves the lights. My lps love the lights too. It might be a little much for some of my softies that are in areas with higher light. hth

4. jlongwell

jlongwell Spaghetti Worm

My monti and birdsnest are both in the middle of the tank, about 5 inches below the surface. Would it be wise to angle/poistion them to have a slight overlap to increase PAR in the area of the SPS?

I suppose I could always jsut try two and see what happens. Half the draw of this setup is that I can always add more with almost no hassle.

5. zoo 4 life

zoo 4 life Coral Banded Shrimp

I have just put 2 over my 29 gallon (well, they are a different brand, but same PAR 30 style of bulb) and I love them! We shall see how the coral does with them!

6. jlongwell

jlongwell Spaghetti Worm

Alright, after reading these posts and some other reviews online, I've decided that I'll be ordering two of the lamp kits for now, possibly adding a third in the future.

Does anyone have any suggestions on color combinations? Or would that question be better suited for their sponsor forum?