Marineland Reef Capable LED PAR

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by reefmonkey, Sep 20, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Somehow I ended up with one of the 3reef/Marineland MACNA 2011 LE fixtures. (Thanks very much Matt! I think you're one of the nicest guys I've met in the hobby no matter what Swearingen said about ya as he and I walked around the show. ::);D)Which is cool because I also ended up with the 16" X 16" X 8" acrylic frag tank Eshopps used for display at the show.
    So anyway these two pieces were the last of the puzzle I was putting together to make a nice looking grow out for frags that will be tied in to my 75. But that's for another thread...

On with this one.

All of the readings are in open air and I know that they will change once they are taken in the aquarium. I just wanted to see if it was even worth setting up the little light or building another DIY with Crees from Rapid. The numbers aren't overly impressive but enough that this light will work fine for what I want to use it.
    A little about the light.
    The specs off the box are:
    Adjustable to fit tanks 18"-24" wide
    1305 Lumens
    Specially designed polycarbonate lens to maximize light penetration
    Optimized for use in reef aquariums
    White and Blue 1W LED's (there is only 3 blue)
    Single power source
    Integrated heat sink
    Three mode on/off switch
    10000K daylight white LED's (18 total)
    460nm blue LED's (3 total)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The light will be 9" above the bottom of the frag tank so I needed to find something handy to use as a stand and would be that height. Luckily because of the daycare we have an abundance of puzzles and jumbo Lego's. A foundation of lego's and 3 puzzle boxes worked out just right.
    [​IMG]

Checking that no ambient light would be measured.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Highest PAR reading with just the blues. Strangely off center of the beam from any of the 3 LED's.
    [​IMG]

Highest PAR of all bulbs lit. Not "blow you away numbers" but good enough that it will work perfect for a shallow grow out. :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

I believe you linked the wrong picture 2nd from the end; same as the one above it.

4. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Good catch. fixed.

5. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

good to know........I havent used my light yet because I was a little fearful of the PAR levels. I was going to place it on top of my Biocube but I think I will hold off and use it on a more shallow tank. (still very leary of LEDs.......will use it for a grow out tank of some sort)

cant wait to see your build! Looked like you had a great frag tank!

6. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Thanks!

This light is going to work perfect for the shallow eight inch grow out tank. I don't think 200 +/- PAR is going to give them super color but it and the 10K spectrum should make for pretty quick growing.

Frickin Marc L.! Haha I should not have seen his seminar! I know own a meter and have chopped 6' out of one ballast cord and 8' out of the other. LOL! :)