LED More powerful than 250W MH ?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by billy01, Jun 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. billy01

billy01 Plankton

2. Click Here!

3. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

would you like to be our guinea pig:yaknow:?

i think with the newness of the systems and spendy prices no one has had any long enough to figure out if they do any better in the long run.

i would stay with 2x250w mh (thats great lighting anyway)

4. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

I don't know for sure how good they are for corals etc. because it'still new on the market. I personally haven't used them but I don't mind giving it a chance. Especially if it produces less heat than MH the the operating cost is lower;)

5. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

the LED system at a LFS's DT is not doing so great. Many of his corals are loosing their color. They're not bleaching, but corals that should be blue and green are turning brownish.

Owner isn't sure if it's spectrum, intensity, PAR, or something else as yet unknown.

I would wait a while. In 3-4 years LED lighting systems will either be written off as a good idea with poor results or firmly established as the newest great thing, and will be 1/10th of the cost.

-Doug

6. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

By there tests yes there LED system is more powerfull than ONE 250 watt MH. Never does it say a 2 lamp MH system... Does your MH set up have t5's? They left that a little too broad for my liking.

7. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

I have seen PAR tests of the Solaris that was good and seeing them at trade shows they were alright.... but dim, not bright like T5 or MH... Too bad PFO is now out of business leaving everyone with warranties high and dry.
    The DIY LEDs I have seen been them on RC or elsewhere didn't really, IME put out good enough PAR to warrant the price or the effort of a DIY build.

Good luck!!

8. Click Here!

9. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I hope the technology improves but, I have heard bad things about the LEDs.

10. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

11. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

I've witnessed the same. An LFS close to me has a PFO Solaris 48" unit atop a 90 gallon tank. The numbers (the tests regarding PAR, lumens, etc.) are impressive, but the tank is not. It's lackluster to say the least. Plus, the fixture is upwards of 2 grand.

LEDs might be promising, but it seems for the time being, at least IMO, they're not an option when considering the price and lack of brightness.

12. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

If the corals are browning out and its not do to lack of PAR then it is either elevated nutrient levels or the kH is too high...