LED flood light for reef tank

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by nanomania, Jul 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

i have come across led flood lights that range from 10w - 80w. they are cool white and have a bluer spectrum. my tank size is 26"x18"x18" with 5" of substrate. im comfused on how many watt led should i buy as the intendity of leds are more than other lights. if u want to know about the led flood lights then just type 'led flood lights' on google images. i will be using them with blue and actinic 03(purple)......

2. Click Here!

3. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

any pictures or link of the one you are considering?

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I would stay away from those bulbs the light temperature is 5000K or less and would cause your corals to brown out. You want something in the 10000+K range.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

nanomania - moved the LED board. Please post on the right boards. Thanks.

6. nanomania

well i will be supplementing with actinic and blue, so would that be ok? and the there are three colours in it. dull white, white and cool white. cool white is a bit bluer. the only other light available here is 14000k T8.
    10W LED Flood Lamp LED Outdoor Lighting CE Rosh

7. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

How much does that cost? i didnt see a price on the link you posted. I ask because you would probably be much happier in the long one if you went with a par30 or par38 from one of our many sponsers... they can be quite pricey, but lighting isnt something you can skimp on in this hobby. and if those didnt cut it or you werent happy with them you would be out whatever they cost and be looking for a different light.

here are some options to consider, i think i posted them from low to high price.

BoostLED

Results for PAR Bulbs

Ecoxotic PAR38 LED Aquarium Lamp

Orphek LED Light Bulbs for Saltwater & Reef Aquariums

8. Click Here!

9. nanomania

well im from india, do u send here?

10. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

That im not sure of, this is something that would have to be taken up with each vendor.

11. nanomania

would 14000k t8 work? my height will be 18" - 5" substrate so 13 inch + 3-4 inch height from the water level.....

12. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I would go with the T8 with as many bulbs as you can fit under the canopy with the best reflectors you can find if you are looking at keeping SPS and maxima or crocea clams. If you are keeping LPS and softies only 4 T8 bulbs with the best reflectors should do fine.