Kessil A150w LED 15k spectrum video

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by ahsan111222, Jul 24, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ahsan111222

ahsan111222 Plankton

So I have had insane work hours lately.. Thus no time to frag much from my display tank. But just a quick run down of this tank so far: And sorry just wanted to start my own thread and track videos take suggestions as I move this new project along.

that video is actually a very good depiction of how the light appears. The tank I purchased back in april with a corner overflow 80 lbs dry reef saver rock from BRS, deep sand bed (around 80 lbs sand in the entire setup) in refugium with (miracle mud in one quadrant.. I got for free so I figured I would try it :)... The sump is divided into like 4 quadrants. One with liverock one with the DSB macroalgae and probably enough pods to have a mandarin dancing? (I'm very sleepy excuse the bad joke worked 48 hours in last 3 days.). I pre ordered the lights and let the tank cycle and cycle and its been long overdue now.

The yellow tang is a adoption for a friend whose tank broke during his move.. So I will move him eventually to something bigger but this tank is 30inchesx30inches cube and 18 inches high (75 gallon tank 30 gallon sump). He seems to love it and all the holes and gaps in the rock give him plenty of space to dart around or hide. Also running a reefkeeper lite V3 and the pumps im still debating on... the glass is to thick for my two MP10 es units and 900 for MP40's ... its a lot of money lol :) Maybe I will try one and supplement with tunze? But these cheap maxi 1200's are on wavemaker mode and doing ok for now with the koralia.

The kessil light itself isn't even a full 12 inches above the tank at this point. I just wanted you to see an actual person showing you legitimate footage of the light only. This way you get an idea what it looks like and the coverage. The spread for something so small is quite incredible. I will be doing some work this coming week as I have off so I will keep you guys posted!

I think that video in HD gives an extremely accurate depiction of how it looks in person. We all were amazed by the lights at various retail stores using them, but I still cannot find 1 video from a hobbyist? So here is one haha. Again I will start adding new coral this week and lets hope they promote good growth! I will post updates for you guys! I have the other unit and gooseneck boxed still... Not sure If I even want to put 2 over this setup..

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

thanks for sharing, looking forward to seeing how the corals do under it.

4. OrphekUSA

OrphekUSA 3reef Sponsor

Too blue for my tastes, but Kessil is definitely my 2nd choice in lighting after our own products ( ;) ), their spectral profiles are better than Cree, Luxeon, etc based products, IMO.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  5. duoc9119

duoc9119 Coral Banded Shrimp

Now to get back on topic.. Where are you guys getting your Kessils? Everywhere I've looked is out of stock. Any updates on the lights? They look great, just want to know if they are the right choice for a 40 Breeder.

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Agreed lets get back on topic.
    I've removed 5 posts that were off topic and would take this thread off the rails for sure as shown in 5 posts. Start a new thread, report a post or stay on topic please. Thanks

7. ahsan111222

ahsan111222 Plankton

From what I have seen marinedepot has pre orders. I got my 2 from neptuneaquatics but I am only using one of those right now. I will probably get a 10k to add a bit of a lighter color to my tank. I think the batches coming out have been in groups of 15 which pretty much sold out from what my seller told me. I'm not sure how long these take to manufacture but I think they are an amazing deal! I will have a new video this weekend with more corals! But the zoos under T5 lighting always had relatively slow but gradual growth. I have noticed new heads sprouting out already on these frags :) I'm not sure what the other posts were? I wasn't saying anything negative about orpheks lighting it just wasn't in my price range... college loans themselves are almost a mortgage now a days :( so being able to indulge in this hobby is a blessing :) I have frags of a monti and birdsnest and xenia, acan sorry about the and and lol quite excited to add these. I have a 30% coupon at thatpetplace for any item I may go ahead and pick one up an MP40 that is.... unless someone has a nice used one for sale?? :)

8. Click Here!

9. duoc9119

It was just some side comments about orpheks marketing techniques (in a nice paraphrase). They are also too expensive for me as well. Can't wait till LEDs start dropping. I may just wait until the A150 will be more readily available. I still have a long ways until needing lights any how. Some more reviews/videos/etc. would be great!

10. ahsan111222

ahsan111222 Plankton

duoc I completely understand! I am not kidding when I say These lights are amazing me day by day. I have only dealt with T5 HO lighting but I have seen numerous setups with MH lighting. I have added some phyto cultures today to get a stable environment going and I have a biopellet reactor I have setup. But ultimately in comparison the response from my corals have been amazing. I only aim to find us as hobbyist the best thing I can!! If its garbage trust me I will be the first to steer everyone clear of them. Like I said I will be the guinea pig but I hope these lights are the real deal! I wont comment on orphek anymore either :) I think Kessil has made the push to mainstream LED but the manufacturing might need some tweaking to meet the demand! If anyone has a 10k unit who wants to trade I have a 15k+gooseneck unopened I am willing to offer in exchange. The color is beautiful though like a pure actinic. Again I am trying to perfect everything so the environment is perfect for these corals to flourish!

11. duoc9119

I wonder if the guys at Kessil are hammering out the metals and carving the heat sinks by hand. Haha It only makes sense with the small number of units they are putting out. I have ran into many products that have all the hype but does not perform as expected. I'm sure we all could have saved hundreds if not thousands if we avoided such products. Lights are also another thing. With CF's, T5s, Metal Halides, and LEDs, its easy for new hobbiest to go with the cheaper route and skimp on the light, then in a month or two upgrade to the next best thing and so on. Lights don't come cheap, and going from one to another is surely a quick way to break the bank.

12. ahsan111222

ahsan111222 Plankton

Added spsYeah so after i found a great local reef hobbyist I stopped by a lfs and the guy working couldn't have been any more skeptical of these lights lol. I can understand somewhat. I have had slowly added sps lps softies and the response is great!! Video coming today!