ad-button

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2010, 07:29 AM
Spaghetti Worm

Skin: Mint
fish addict is a splendid one to beholdfish addict is a splendid one to beholdfish addict is a splendid one to beholdfish addict is a splendid one to beholdfish addict is a splendid one to beholdfish addict is a splendid one to beholdfish addict is a splendid one to behold

gallery
Question Do LED's fallow the watts per gallon rule?

I'm sorta old school but i know with compact florescent's, t-5's, and metal halide's all fallow the watts per gallon rule. But do LED's also fallow this rule? For example, I have a 30 gal tank with sps in it(i don't really have one it's just hypothetical) . Do i need to have 250 watts of LED lighting for proper growth?
fish addict is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!
Old 06-10-2010, 07:40 AM   #2
Giant Squid

blackraven1425 has a reputation beyond reputeblackraven1425 has a reputation beyond reputeblackraven1425 has a reputation beyond reputeblackraven1425 has a reputation beyond reputeblackraven1425 has a reputation beyond reputeblackraven1425 has a reputation beyond reputeblackraven1425 has a reputation beyond reputeblackraven1425 has a reputation beyond reputeblackraven1425 has a reputation beyond reputeblackraven1425 has a reputation beyond reputeblackraven1425 has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish addict View Post
I'm sorta old school but i know with compact florescent's, t-5's, and metal halide's all fallow the watts per gallon rule. But do LED's also fallow this rule? For example, I have a 30 gal tank with sps in it(i don't really have one it's just hypothetical) . Do i need to have 250 watts of LED lighting for proper growth?
No, because 1 watt of a quality LED will give you far more PAR than 1 watt of MH or T5.
blackraven1425 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-10-2010, 07:42 AM   #3
Spaghetti Worm

fish addict is a splendid one to beholdfish addict is a splendid one to beholdfish addict is a splendid one to beholdfish addict is a splendid one to beholdfish addict is a splendid one to beholdfish addict is a splendid one to beholdfish addict is a splendid one to behold

gallery

ok, so what is a easy rule similar to the 1 watt per gallon rule i can fallow for LED's?
Old 06-10-2010, 07:45 AM   #4
Giant Squid

blackraven1425 has a reputation beyond reputeblackraven1425 has a reputation beyond reputeblackraven1425 has a reputation beyond reputeblackraven1425 has a reputation beyond reputeblackraven1425 has a reputation beyond reputeblackraven1425 has a reputation beyond reputeblackraven1425 has a reputation beyond reputeblackraven1425 has a reputation beyond reputeblackraven1425 has a reputation beyond reputeblackraven1425 has a reputation beyond reputeblackraven1425 has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 

gallery

Quote:
ok, so what is a easy rule similar to the 1 watt per gallon rule i can fallow for LED's?
There really is none. Watts per gallon is somewhat outdated as it is for T5/MH/PC.

LEDs have a huge range of quality, so much so that the highest quality LEDs can have 5-6 times the amount of PAR of a low quality LED, so you're really going in blind if you just use watts per gallon.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:46 AM   #5
Giant Squid

Skin: Dark
xmetalfan99 has a reputation beyond reputexmetalfan99 has a reputation beyond reputexmetalfan99 has a reputation beyond reputexmetalfan99 has a reputation beyond reputexmetalfan99 has a reputation beyond reputexmetalfan99 has a reputation beyond reputexmetalfan99 has a reputation beyond reputexmetalfan99 has a reputation beyond reputexmetalfan99 has a reputation beyond reputexmetalfan99 has a reputation beyond reputexmetalfan99 has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

Quote:
Watts per gallon is an extremely outdated rule of thumb. 300watts of PC does not put out the same amount of par 300watts of T5HO. Just go for quality LEDs if you want LEDS. Buy the fixture with the most quality LEDs that you can afford. You will be fine with doing this.
xmetalfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-10-2010, 07:48 AM   #6
Spaghetti Worm

gallery

ok so why i am asking these questions is because i want the jbj nano cube with led's and i'm wondering if i can have hard corals, soft corals, mainly can i put any coral i want in there i want with the lighting it has.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:57 AM   #7
Panda Puffer

ComputerJohn has a reputation beyond reputeComputerJohn has a reputation beyond reputeComputerJohn has a reputation beyond reputeComputerJohn has a reputation beyond reputeComputerJohn has a reputation beyond reputeComputerJohn has a reputation beyond reputeComputerJohn has a reputation beyond reputeComputerJohn has a reputation beyond reputeComputerJohn has a reputation beyond reputeComputerJohn has a reputation beyond reputeComputerJohn has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 
protector 
3link 
gallery

fish addict, you do mean follow right?? hehe.. There is such a thing of having too much light and or having it on for much too long.
ComputerJohn is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-10-2010, 08:02 AM   #8
Giant Squid

3reefer 

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerJohn View Post
fish addict, you do mean follow right?? hehe.. There is such a thing of having too much light and or having it on for much too long.
In some sense, it likely will be the thing that lays the watts/gallon rule fallow. LEDs skew the numbers by so much, hopefully it will be left to die.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:03 AM   #9
Spaghetti Worm

gallery

im just wondering how may LED's are needed to keep coral healthy.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:08 AM   #10
Giant Squid

3reefer 

gallery

Quote:
im just wondering how may LED's are needed to keep coral healthy.
As many as are on the fixture.

I mean, there's 20 different ways that they mount LEDs into a fixture, a bunch of different size LEDs themselves, scores of companies making the fixtures, each of which has more than one supplier of the actual diodes.....it would be nigh impossible to tell you just based on "how many do I need".

Here's what I propose:

Go find a fixture you like online.

Then, go research what other people say about it on forums, what they keep under it, how well it's doing, and if possible find a PAR graph for the fixture and compare it to that of T5s and MHs.

Click Here!