Cree LED DIY PWM Controller Build - HELP!

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by DemonsRun, Oct 27, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DemonsRun

DemonsRun Plankton

Hi

First time posting on here but been thu a few (lots!) threads over the past weeks!

I have just started out in saltwater (couple of months now) (long time with freshwater) so learning alot quickly!

So far so good. All perams correct and stable! 2 clowns and 2 bangai cardinals going stong. A few hermits (blue and red legged) a turbo snail and a conch (+ a load of stars and tiny snails ect that came on the live rock).

My tank is a 95L 30cm deep x 34cm high x 80cm long (25 US Gallon) with a 50L Sump (12ish US Gallons) with 10ish KG's of live rock and a skimmer.

I am building an LED light rig for my tank which i aim to have sunrise/set and moon phases ect powered from my Raspberry pi (small, single board computer with GPIO).

I have got my parts from Rapid LED shipped to the UK (cheaper then getting them here!!!). ---Just a few bits first to play around with and make sure i can get it to work before shelling out £'s

Cart Items Qty Item Price Item Total

Solderless CREE XP-G Cool White LED Wire Length: 6"
    $4.25

Solderless LED Plug
    $0.75

Solderless CREE XT-E Royal Blue LED Wire Length: 6"
    $3.50

CREE XP-G R5 5W Cool White LED with 40°, 60°, or 80° degree Lens Lens Color: Black
    Lens Width: 80 Degree
    $5.00

CREE XT-E Royal Blue LED with 40°, 60°, or 80° degree Lens Lens Color: Black
    Lens Width: 80 Degree
    $4.25

Royal Blue Moonlight LED
    $2.50

Subtotal: $20.25
    Grand Total: $20.25
    Anyways to my questions!!! (please go easy on me!!!)

First question is how many LED's do you think I need? I'm working on between 15-20 cree's but not sure. And what colours (white, royal blue ect) and in what split.

So my big problem is building the LED driver.

I dont want to spend $30 + shipping on a driver when i'm going to need a few. I have found some DIY jobs online. But cant for the life of me work out what values i need the resistors to be! I read the guide a few times now and am none the wiser!

Heres the guide i'm trying to follow:

a little micro makes all the difference

Looking to buy the parts from Farnell or maybe RS as Maplin doesnt have the bits i need.

Any help would be awsome

I did find this one also but not sure if it would work or how to control it by PWM:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Super-simple-high-power-LED-driver/

Again any and all help would be brilliant!
    Thanks
    DemonsRun

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. serega

serega Astrea Snail

You have nano<10-15 medium power leds should be enough< ask rapidled they give tou advise

4. DemonsRun

DemonsRun Plankton

Thanks will give them a shout!

Any ideas on the PWM Driver?