Color Mixing, lookin to purchase more colors

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Anthos312, Mar 6, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Got a job and finally am making some money :)

My aquastyle online fixture is working well, the only thing I might do is buy some better potentiometers. Its either that or the drivers that arent the best (ive heard about the drivers).

What I really want to do is add some more color mixtures. Currently I am running only 17 blues and 8 whites total. Here is my proposed plan.

Driver 1: 18 Total LED's
    18 @ Royal Blue [Bridgelux]

Driver 2: 14 Total LED's
    8 @ 10000k White [Bridgelux]
    3 @ 4500K White [Bridgelux]
    3 @ 6500K White [Bridgelux]

Driver 3: 12 Total LED's OPTION 1
    4 @ 420 nm Actinic Violet [Bridgelux]
    2 @ 660 nm Red [Epileds]
    2 @ Pink (Cant find nm value) [Bridgelux]
    4 @ 398 nm UltraViolet [Epileds]

Driver 3: 14 Total LED's OPTION 2
    6 @ 420 nm Actinic Violet [Bridgelux]
    6 @ 398 nm UltraViolet [Epileds]

Ive heard all about how rapid is preferred over bridgelux, so no need to get into that :). Just looking for opinions on setup/color combinations.

I am also considering replacing some of my original 8 whites with a broader variation of whites including a 2800K, reaching my total of 14 whites. For example something like this.

Driver 2: 14 Total LED's
    6 @ 10000k White [Bridgelux]
    3 @ 4500K White [Bridgelux]
    3 @ 6500K White [Bridgelux]
    2 @ 2800k White [Bridgelux]

Each driver will be dimmable. Let me know what ya think!

Current fixture/leds are working great.

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

IMO, I thnk option 1 is better, Driver 3: 12 Total LED's OPTION 1
    4 @ 420 nm Actinic Violet [Bridgelux]
    2 @ 660 nm Red [Epileds]
    2 @ Pink (Cant find nm value) [Bridgelux]
    4 @ 398 nm UltraViolet [Epileds]

but I think you may be a little uv heavy, and have no idea on the pink. I'd maybe drop down to 3 violet, 3 uv, then add a few cyan.

4. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

The thing is, I had two UV LED's when I first bought the DIY kit. They are not very bright at all and seem to get drowned out by the rest of the lights, so I figured if I was going to have any serious color enhancement from them, there would need to be a few of them at least.

Yea I had no idea on the pink either, and I cant seem to find any cyan on their website?

The thing is, if all these difference colors were on the same driver, they can only dim all at once. I was thinking about getting the smaller drivers and running 7 LED's on 2 of these drivers. One driver for reds/pinks/cyans (if i can find them), and the other driver for UV/Actinic Violets. But im thinking this is overkill considering I already have 2 drivers running my whites and blues....

5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

I don't think the violets and uv's are really that "strong" of a light as far as our visible spectrum is concerned. I mean, ya don't really "see" those colors as well.

I'd just do the 1 driver and have it turn on with your blues during sunrise. Just make sure all these run at the same max current so you don't burn some out.

Check out the boostled.com typhoon controller. $54 and will control 4 channels, up to 8 drivers. Make sure your drivers are compatible though.

6. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Yea I definately get that our eyes dont see it as well, but my question is how much will they actually help the color enhancement of the zooanthelle?

I would also prefer to do one driver and will put everything in series so it will all be on the same max current.

I will also check out the boostled.com typhoon controller, I already have a RKL system so I am not sure of the differences but I will look into it.

What do you think about the white combination of 10000k/45000k/6700k/2800k?

7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

I'm pretty sure it will help it pop, its my understanding they are like our skins pigment. I have 12 violets mixed in with my 52 led's and even though it only I didn't notice a whole heck of a lot of color change at first, i def noticed toe corals colored up over a few days.

And sorry, I haven't really messed around with the different white options yet, hoping evolved, FOD or exactly will chime in for ya on that.

8. Click Here!

9. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

A couple thoughts;

UV's are not visably powerful but are very strong as far as delivery to photosynthetic organisms

I would get rid of the pink and add cyan/green or somewhere in that spectrum. Pink is to similar to violet and red.

don't use optics on the red

Instead of reducing your number of whites, add addtional whites. This will help even out the colors coming from your new additions and not eliminate spectrums you already have. Try adding a couple warm whites to your neutral.

Blue- try adding a couple blues instead of royal blue. this gives more of an actinic look and also hits a different spectrum

Long term, you will probably want better drivers. I am a little worried you are over powering that 1st drive if you are pushing much past 60 percent.

Good luck!

10. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Thanks!

11. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Wish I could see a before and after with ultraviolets/actinic LED's on and off

12. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

you can mix and match LED's from different places. Rapid and bulk led are two of the more popular places.

I say overpowered due to most quality drivers being able to handle around 12-14 LEDs. when one from a lower quality company tends to say 18 I start to worry. Maybe it works, I can't say I have tried it, but is a pretty expensive mistake if it doesn't. With the additional of more non-white LED's it is my opin ion you will want more white to balance it. Warm white is a little yellow looking. Blue is the most actinic you can find. If you want actinic, add blue leds.