canopy vs led panel!

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Sataly, Apr 24, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Sataly

Sataly Coral Banded Shrimp

Ok so I recently bought a 90 RR with a stand and canopy thing is I don't think that the canopy can have led panels set into it because of the distance from the surface of the water to the inside of the canopy is about 7"-10". I've read to either take off the optics (btw I'm going with 2 reef breeders value fixtures at 120°) or just flat out remove the canopy. I would rather not remove the canopy and have these to squares floating in my room and I'd rather not have the light flooding my room. I'm having my time set at odd hours to go off because I usually get off late and would like to enjoy the tank but not at the cost of my finances sleep. Lucky enough to even have it in there :p

2. Click Here!

3. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I have my "Value Fixtures" about 8" off of the water. A little less than that would be fine too. But they come without optics IIRC, so that would give you the most spread. Unless you special ordered them with 90° optics. Either way, I would do what you can to keep them in the canopy as long as it is properly ventilated.

4. Sataly

Hmmm ok cool. I am slightly worried about the way my canopy is though. It has 2 beams going across it diagonally and im not sure if it will mess with the light spread. Its only 2 inches wide so I figure it wouldn't but never know

Edit: just found out that the fixtures are 2.5 inches tall and the exact measurements from water to wood is 8.75

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  5. Dcerzan

Dcerzan Astrea Snail

I placed my 24" photon on top of my canopy, about 12" off water. cut a 22 * 6 hole in top.
    No issue with cooling because fixture is outside of canopy

6. Sataly

Trying my best not to butcher my canyop. I think I may just mount them and order them without optics.

7. kstafford003

kstafford003 Feather Star

I think you will be good to go with the 120 degree optics 10" off of the water. Worse case scenario you could get rid of the canopy but why not try it out first. As far as the shadowing from the support beams I bet you could get some light reflectors and install them up in the canopy to try to bend light around the beams (just an idea). For ventilation install a nice large computer fan or a couple smaller ones (one pushing one pulling) and your canopy will stay nice and cool.