Calling All LED Gurus, HELP

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by mati_L, Mar 11, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mati_L

mati_L Fire Shrimp

The time has come! The tank is near finished all I have left is the LED lighting system and I need plenty of help with my configuration because I am having a little trouble. I am having trouble with the drivers. Now let me break down the specs of what I have and what I want to achieve here, basically the goal is no dico ball effect and a wide spectrum LED setup. Now the tank is a 72 bow front which as we know has a curved shape in the front and a brace down the middle. Dimensions are 48” x 18” (in the center)x 23, Heat sinks will be DIY and it will be 2 of them
    I currently have my coding done for 2 strings white and blue..I want to add a third for green and UV
    LEDs:
    16 Cool Whites
    16 Natural Whites
    8 Blue
    8 Royal Blue
    6 UV-Violate
    6- Green
    I want 2 rows.. 4 clusters each and then UV/Green within
    Driver 1: 6 B- 7 RB = 13
    Driver 2: 13 CW
    Driver 3: 13 NW
    Driver 4: 6 UV 6 Green
    Driver 5: 3 NW – 3 CW -1RB- 2B

Now the problem is I will have driver 5 being under driven by the blues and also driver 4 will have the greens at 700mA because of the UV.. NOW PROBLEM TOO for my dimming control driver 5 will be on the same dimming as either the white string or the blue string! Meaning I have 3 blues brighter than the rest or 6 whites lower than the rest of the whites if my whites string are higher dimmened OR I can have them on the green string which I won’t know the percent of yet.
    HELP HELP HELP HELP ..look at my color spread analyze it and see if the colors will be nicely dispersed ..and im not sure what optics to use
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. mati_L

mati_L Fire Shrimp

Let me add that maybe i should drop the green and go all 12 UV

4. Inertiatic

Inertiatic Bubble Tip Anemone

I wouldn't worry too much about having a few whites or blues running at a lower current than the others. Just make sure to spread them out so it is not noticeable. Don't have them all on one side of the heat sink.

What color spectrum were you aiming for? That is a lot of white, especially NWs.

5. mati_L

mati_L Fire Shrimp

Really ? I started with a 48 kit then added an extra string.. i like a 20k look maybe a little less..i like the blue tone in there

6. mati_L

mati_L Fire Shrimp

I am open to all to all thoughts since this is my first LED build so i dont really know much of the colors look in person..feel free to tell me where colors should be changed

7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

yeah, thats a TON of white, I have 32 blues, 12 violets and 24 whites and run my blues at 75% and whites at 35% and still find the whites to be too much.

8. Click Here!

9. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Ditch some of the White and go with more Blue.

10. mati_L

mati_L Fire Shrimp

BLues or Royal Blues..and where should i remove and add.. i want to make sure is evenly spread though

11. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Id get:
    Blue
    Royal Blue
    Cyan

You can spread them out to make everything even.

12. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

IMO you should have 60% blues to 40% whites. then in that ratio, have 70% rb tom 30% blue, and 70% cw to 30% nw, then add 10-15% violets and 15% cyan red etc. Then call ET because your tank will be able to signal space. But will look cool as heck. then control all that with a boostled typhoon controller