? ABOUT LED's and cooling fans

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Todd_Sails, Mar 14, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I'm getting the taoTronics 120W 55 led system, x 2 for my 125, they'll be here in a few days.

So if LED's are so cool temperature wise, why do they need cooling fans, and why three of them per unit?

The info says the 3w LEDs run at 2W to match the cooling system?

Enlighten me please.

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

led's themselves actually run pretty dang hot, the difference is the size of an led bulb verse a T5 or MH. They just don't emit near as much heat. And letting your led's run hot for an extended period of time will burn them out quicker.

And I have no idea what they mean by running the 3w leds at 2w to match the cooling system. Unless they're running on the same power source.

4. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

I have 4 fans on my 26 led build. With all 4 fans running at 100% my heatsink is around 124 F.

5. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

124 degrees? Wow, that's for the replys, I understand a bit better now.
    I figured as such, of they wouldn't have the fans in the first place.

6. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Yeah, but ya gotta know he has one of those fancy pants cubes that the led's are enclosed in a hooded cover, plus he has enough led's in there to signal ET;)

Mine are out in the open and don't near that, although the heatsink does get a little toasty if the fans are off, but I only have 1 fan on each heatsink with 34 leds per sink, and with it turned on low the sink stay cools to the touch.

7. Reakwonthachef

Reakwonthachef Feather Duster

If I'm thinking correctly, the fans are running off the same power source. Depending on the total power of the driver, if it was running the fans it would drop the wattage to the leds. Which, is fine unless the foreward voltage is exceeded or drops too low, in that case it will lead to a quicker burnout of the led. At least thats what I read about when I was bulding my own led unit which has fans at each led. I wouldnt be worried, im sure the manufacturer knows what they are doing

8. Click Here!

9. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Haha thanks! Im sure yours will run a lot cooler since the HS is not enclosed in a hood.

I have all my fans running 24/7 to keep humidity out, but I'm sure you could run yours with the blue driver on a timer.

10. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Thanks to all, they should be here in a few days, my new LED's that is.