when to worry?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by loneracer05, Sep 30, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

well ive decided im ready to get an anemone.so i ordered afew from online. well 4 bubble tips to be specific. 2 are non issues they took hold and are open and doing well. 2 got flipped by a passing tang before they could take hold.in my attempts to right them 1 got blown behind some rocks and i cant see it (magic anemone). that was this afternoon. i come home tonight and the other one that was flipped seems to have vanished aswell.

at what point should i get concerned ?

2. Click Here!

3. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Eh.. I personally can not keep one alive in my tank to save my life. I however do not worry unless my tank gets cloudy. At that point, major water change and some carbon will fix that right up.

How big of a tank?

4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I wouldn't worry too much. Nems are animals with a desire and capability to survive. Wherever they are, they will attach to something fairly quickly and be back out when they feel comfortable.

5. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

You need to keep them in sight because if they die the ammonia could nuke your tank.

Once you locate your missing nems, pay attention for unresponsiveness, plus an overall flat appearance with a gapping mouth is a bad sign.

If need be cut your loses, and flush it away.

I had one rotting behind some rock one time. A 90% water change saved my a$$.

6. loneracer05

im not so worried of an ammonia spike its a 210g with 120 sump. i have 2 brs reactors running carbon all the time. i found 1 of them.found a nice spot where its tough to see lol the 1st lost anemone is still mia. they are small 2-3inches when theyre open fott is about the size of a quarter mabe half dollar.i dont think they have enough mass to nuke the tank separately

7. bulldogniner

bulldogniner Feather Duster

I'm 1 for 3, granted the first 2 got destroyed by powerheads. Funny enough it was a Sebae anemone that is thriving in my tank now. The previous ones I had were bubble tips.

It took mine about two weeks to settle in to a place he likes and he's been there for 6+ months now. I have 1 maroon clown that calls him home.

If you start seeing rotting flesh, definitely yank them....and man do they smell when they die...you will know!

8. Click Here!

9. Reef Queen

Reef Queen Feather Duster

Mine hid in a crevise for about 2 weeks before poking some tentacles out for some light...chances are once they get used to the new tank they will find a spot they want to move to, and if not bulldogniner is right, they smell terrible and you will know when one dies...i also had one make friends with a powerhead (luckily it was the nem i hated and NOT my BTA haha) and that sucker stank so bad, i only did a 30% WC after that with no ill effects. so anyway unless you smell something stinky its not time to worry yet ha ha!

10. loneracer05

Lol ok I figured I had some time here.thanks guys