Starfish - Sea Star identification

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by SaltyB, Sep 1, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SaltyB

SaltyB Plankton

This green sea star has lived in my old 46gal for about a year. The tank had a few xenia and green polyps. The starfish never touched any of the coral ; he was quite happy eating tank algae and dead things. Recently, I upgraded to a 90, added a few more corals... SPS and more green polyps. I found Mr. Starfish roaming over my new green polyps.... I moved him to my fuge when I saw this.

No damage to the polyps at all. I was concerned because it kind of looks like a chocolate chip starfish... which I know are not reef safe. I've never read or heard about a green verity of chocolate chip though.....

Any idea what kind of starfish this is... and more importantly, is it reef safe? I fear that it hasn't gone after any coal due to having plenty to eat..... yet.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Brian

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. salsalito25

salsalito25 Stylophora

4. SaltyB

SaltyB Plankton

Thanks Salsalito! I appreciate the feedback. I've done lots of digging online without luck.....

It almost looks like the bat star (which I have never seen before), but this guys legs are more deffined... the bat star almost looks like it has "webbing" (like ducks feet) between their legs.

Brian