Staghorn Hermit

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Steve34, May 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Steve34

Steve34 Feather Star

Went down to the store to trade in my CBS as it had gotten quite large and rather crabby toward my fish.

I trade him for a nice looking Staghorn, very proud of my new acquisition. Brought it home dropped into my tank and it promptly bails out of its shell and grabs an empty hermit shell laying nearby and is off and running leaving its beautiful "rack" laying on the sandbed.

2. Click Here!

3. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

LOL sounds like you paid for the staghorn

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

LOL what a bummer, congrats on the new add, crazy hermit

5. Steve34

Steve34 Feather Star

at this point I'm hoping one of the hermits takes over the shell they are currently using it as a jungle gym.

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

They will until they have removed any algae from it.

7. Steve34

Steve34 Feather Star

Update on my little nimrod he is still in the shell that he acquired day one, seems happy and his other is growing algae nicely but that's about it.

It's nice because he spends almost all of his time in the corner near my computer and seems a big more behaviorally interesting than many of the others.

8. Click Here!

9. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

yeah the staghorns are just a type of decorator, I had a pair lost one and its shell is still growing. My other who has remained in his shell is so cool, the shell is now starting to grow coraline on it so its turning multiple colors.

10. toua

toua Flamingo Tongue

ha-ha, he hit the bottom of your tank and went "I'M FREE I'M FREE!" now we take over the WORLD!

11. Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer Millepora

LOL, that's too funny. I love hermit crabs, they are the clown fish of inverts!!!

12. Steve34

Steve34 Feather Star

In the corner that he calls home he is the sheriff in town. Of course his town is about a six by six corner of the tank, but he rules with an iron claw