Small Starfish Species?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by copenhagen1221, Mar 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. copenhagen1221

copenhagen1221 Astrea Snail

I know one probably doesn't exist for the aquarium, but I have a 3 gal reef tank and I've always loved the little buggers. Are there any small Starfish species (maybe 1" or so) that i could keep or would i need a bigger tank for any of em?

2. Click Here!

3. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Actually there are lots of species of Asterina starfish that may just appear out of your live rock. Some of them are about an inch across and some are smaller. I've never seen them for sale.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Arcain41

Arcain41 Coral Banded Shrimp

If you go to the common hitchhikers thread on the ID THIS category you can see pics of the Asterina Starfish. They are adorable. They are just a pest cuz they pro-create so quickly. I am unsure if they are considered reef safe. Im thinking they are probably not.

5. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

I have asterinas in my fuge--came on my chaeto my wife loves em

6. copenhagen1221

Okay well these Asterina starfish sound pretty cool. And from the sound of it i could possibly get one for my tank. Are starfish asexual? If i got one would i have to worry about procreation?

7. copenhagen1221

Okay, a couple of things. First, i've been reading in some places that they are not reef safe, and in others that they are (I have some zoas and red tubeworms, getting some xenia and probably some hammer and shrooms). Also, if these things do multiply so fast (as in a lil 3gal i'll get overrun real quick) instead of just plucking em out, could i possibly get maybe a Harlequin pair to take care of em?

8. Click Here!

9. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

I have them and have corals and have not had an issue. Then again I have an emperor angel and corals and have not had an issue. I geuss every reef is different. I had a coral beauty that ate snails and a hippo that killed fish so its always a mistery. I personally dont think these stars in the pic whick I also have will do your reef any damage. the lfs local to me also have them in there reef tank and there corels are also ok. I think its a safe bet with them

10. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

I have more than one of the small ones with the pink on the back in my tank. I've had them for about a year and it is still a treat to see one. The kids like them because they are small and cute. I've seen them on the foot of a soft coral but they don't stay there for long. I've never seen them do damage. I think they're just eating algae.

11. mufassathelion

mufassathelion Skunk Shrimp

so what u all sayin so i understand this right that these lil stars are asexual and reproduce very fast.... i got one as a hitchhiker and was excited... and if there isn't really a market for these why not start one.....

12. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

There are several different species of asterina stars. Some eat coral, but most eat algae. Just watch them. If they are always on your coral, take them out. If they are cruising the glass and live rock they are probably safe. Harlequin shrimp will eat all of your asterina stars in no time and then starve to death, unless you cultivate them as food in a separate tank (like people do with copepods for dragonettes).