Skunk Shrimp and YT Damsel

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by smackrock, Mar 3, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. smackrock

smackrock Coral Banded Shrimp

So I've had a Yellow Tail Damsel since the beginning of my tank who's obviously a jerk of a fish and harasses most newcomers, def should have gotten rid of him earlier.

About a month ago I added a Skunk Shrimp and the YT Damsel did his pecking order rough up to see where the shrimp stood and even though the shrimp is double his size, the shrimp would hardly fight back and usually would back off.

So my question is, can the YT damsel even harm the skunk shrimp considering they have an exoskeleton? There never seems to be any damage on the skunk shrimp after he gets attacked but I'm still concerned he's harassing him to a point where its unhealthy stress.

Would you take the Damsel out of the tank in this situation? I feel like it's going to be very difficult to get him out without taking all the rocks out of the tank or something else drastic.

I absolutely love my shrimp (climbs all over my arm and even cleans my blenny at times) and would hate to see him hurt.

Any input is appreciated!

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

any updates smackrock?

IME TYBs can sometimes be a pain for a breif period with new introductions, but unlike other Damsel species they do eventually make a consession and allow other fish / inverts to get on with it
    Ive never had this issue with a cleaner shrimp to be honest, my YTB ignored it, unless it came to clean it, in that case it just let the shrimp know it wasnt interested and the shrimp got the message and went to pester someone else.

Steve