Skunk and Blood Shrimps

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Frizza, Feb 7, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Frizza

Frizza Coral Banded Shrimp

I am looking to get a couple of shrimp at the weekend. I would love to get two blood shrimp, however I understand that they are not as active as the skunk shrimp.
    Question is, would it be OK to have one blood and one skunk shrimp?

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Yup, you shouldn't have any problems mixing cleaner shrimp.

4. Frizza

Frizza Coral Banded Shrimp

Thats super, thanks.

5. dancin_trancy

dancin_trancy Fire Worm

On the same topic...I have a fireshrimp that I have had since Nov-Dec. 05, he has grown pretty large. I want to either get another fireshrimp, or cleaner shrimp, but the ones available to me at my LFS are all relatively small compared to the one I already have. Since I only have a 20g, and this might be a redundant question, but do you think there would be an aggression problem with getting either another fireshrimp or cleaner shrimp that would be so much smaller than the existing shrimp, given the small size of my aquarium.

6. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

It will tolerate its mate, while others of its own kind will be chased away or harassed.
    Paraphrased from a fosters and smith website...

Jim

7. mannyhernz

mannyhernz Fire Worm

since we are on the shrimp topic......i have a problem keeping shrimp!every time i get a skunk or a fire shrimp they dont make it not even 3 minutes in my tank,yet when i am acclimating them with my water they are fine until they get in my tank! some one help i really want a shrimp!

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Do you have a ground probe in the tank?

10. dancin_trancy

dancin_trancy Fire Worm

I only have purchased one, so I might not be of any assistance, but I used the drip acclimation process, and spanned it out over a time period of about 1 1/2 hours. Kept a dim light on in the room, and left the lights off in the tank to reduce stress. Perhaps mine is extremely hardy, as I have read everywhere that fire shrimps also tend to be very shy, mine is out and about all the time, light or dark...even follows me to what ever side of the tank I'm on.

Anywho, how long did you acclimate him, did you also acclimate the water temp? Sounds to me that perhaps going slower would assist in them not going into shock when they reach your tank. Also making sure that you have provided enough water exchange to bring the transport water perimeters as close as possible to the display tank, slowly of course. Maybe they are not exposed to enough of the actual display water to cause a problem until you release them into the display tank.

Again, Ive only acclimated one shrimp, but I also have purchased a bunch of hermits and snails, acclimated the same way and have had no problems.

Are you purchasing them from a LFS or perhaps are they being shipped? I know that of course can definitely contribute a lot of stress to the animal.

I wish you luck on your future attempts!

11. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

ground probe

would the ground probe help??? why would it be needed?:confused:

12. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

In case you are leaking some electricity into the tank.
    Our helpful moderator knows that could cause the death of fish and inverts.

Jim