Shrunk up anemone

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Brandon1023, Mar 29, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

I was wondering how often do anemones shrink up? I'm pretty certain mine is simply expelling waste right now, since I fed him on Monday. This is the 3rd time this has happened and he always comes back so I'm not worried, just curious what other peoples' experiences have been with this. It always freaks me out a little but its becoming routine. Also I've only been feeding him silversides, what else should I feed him to mix up his diet?

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. telman2010

telman2010 Bristle Worm

I feed mine cut up pieces of shrimp. It will do the closed up thing for about half a day sometimes but always comes back.

4. morejongg

morejongg Astrea Snail

I used to have a carpet anemone that would do that after feeding
    sometimes looked like it's insides were coming out but,
    it always came back.

1 person likes this.
  5. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

What also sucks is mine was in the PERFECT spot, for itself and for me, on the right side of the tank in the front. I guess it likeed the flow there. But then I was looking for my little frag of zoos that my stupid damsel kept picking at and tossed behinds the rocks. While I was doing that, the rock the anemone got onto fell over. So now he moved to the back, still on the right but not as in view as I would like. Im not touching him tho, if hes happy and alive, then I'm thrilled.

6. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

My anemone closes really tight when startled (in two cases, a Starfish and a rock fell on her) and less tight when eating. She recovers in 2-3 hours. See my pictures in the gallery.
    [​IMG]
    I had been feeding her tuna and those sinking pellets that you feed to betas, but I think I'll switch to shrimp.

7. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Anemones will eat beta pellets?? Wow, I had no idea about that. Also, I have some frozen brine shrimp I would like to feed mine. Whats the best way? Because I read somewhere that target feeding nan anemone can be harmful to it? But thats the only way I can think of because when it thaws out, I get it in an eye dropper and in the tank it just flies all over the place. Plus my fish eat it like MAD.

8. Click Here!

9. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

There is nothing wrong with target feeding it anything. Just don't try and shove it down its mouth :)

Jim

10. mallasee

mallasee Astrea Snail

I had a problem with my anemone doing that for few months. It turns out the my alk and calcium levels were low. Now they are back to normal and the anemone is happy and out again.

11. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

As long as it tastes good, they will consume it. They think they are in the wild, so whatever they can find to eat, they will devour. I have two carnivorous fish who absolutely love the marine algae pellets! Must be the garlic. I've been wanting to soak everything in garlic, but the kent's garlic is kinda expensive. :-/

12. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

Brandon,
    The way people in 3Reef forums have been using the phrase "target feeding" only means getting food to that specific animal, so the animal doesn't have to compete for it. Drop it within the anemone's reach, she'll get it. :tongue4: