Shrimp Collection

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by omard, Dec 5, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

My Shrimp Collection

I find shrimp colorful and interesting additions to tank. As I am probably way past max # of fish in tank. Shrimp are about the only thing I can add without dramatically increasing bioload.

I don't like crabs after having some bad experiences with them in past. Won't be any kind in my tank.

They are great fish and tank cleaners. Eating parasites off fish and cleaning up excess food in tank.

They are hardy, get along well together, and are fairly "reef safe." (if there is such a thing??? - :-/ )

As of now, the following shrimp inhabit my tanks.

Main:

(1) Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
    (1) Coral Banded Shrimp
    (2) Blood/Fire Shrimp
    (2) Harlequin Shrimp
    (4) Peppermint Shrimp
    (?) Pistol Shrimp

Nano:

(1) Blood/Fire Shrimp
    (1) Coral Banded Shrimp

The Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

Lysmata amboinensis

[​IMG]

Pretty cool shrimp. Least shy of different ones. Will set itself up in top of rock to act as a "cleaning station" for fish to stop by at to have any parasites eaten off. Often seen swimming around tank upside down (?).

Blood Shrimp​

Lysmata debelius

[​IMG]

Very shy but beautiful shrimp. Stays hidden under rock ledges most of the time. Only come out at feeding time. If 4/5 in tank, they apparently will stay out in open more. (re. Tangster) This shrimp is well-known for its deep red color, so the name "Blood Shrimp" is quite appropriate. The white antennae and a few spots here and there make them look even better. (aka "Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp). Will clean, as I have observed in nano.

Banded Coral Shrimp​

Stenopus hispidus

[​IMG]

Another great looking, but shy shrimp. Come out usually only at feeding time. Banded Coral Shrimp can also be found in mated pairs, and occasionally you may find such a pair for sale together. In this case, the two were collected together and shipped together, etc. and will stay together peacefully in your aquarium. However, it is practically impossible to buy two of these shrimp separately and get them to pair up in a tank. They don’t like each other at all, and certainly can’t be kept in groups. The bigger one(s) will kill the smaller one(s) until there is only one left, unless you have a really large tank that allows them to avoid each other. They often won't get along with other types of shrimps either, but they typically don’t bother other invertebrates. So, if you want one (or a pair), it will be fine in a reef tank. The only thing to watch out for is a hungry shrimp that might climb up on a coral and steal its food. Make sure the shrimp eats before giving meaty foods to corals.

The Harlequin Shrimp​

Hymenocera picta

[​IMG]

Most beautiful, oddest looking and interesting shrimp in tank. Rather shy, but become bold and come out in open when looking for food. Which is only starfish. I feed mine either Chocolate Chip or Sand Sifting Stars. Which they can consume a large one in two weeks or less. Usually come in mated pairs, with the male being much more active then the female. They work together when capturing a starfish, then drag it back to their lair.

Collected Web Photo's Video

Harlequin Shrimp Attack!​

Peppermint Shrimp
    Lysmata wurdemanni

[​IMG]

Added 4 to 125 gal. 5 Dec 2007. Don't know much about behavior yet - Known to eat aptasia anemones (which thank god I don't have.) - Supposed to do well in groups.

Pistol Shrimp
    Alpheus sp

Pretty sure I have at least one. Have never seen. But have frequently heard sharp clicks or pops coming from tank at night, indicating one or more might be around.

(From: sonefe67)

;D​

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
    2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

cool! Nice shrimp!

4. conjuay

conjuay Feather Duster

Thanks for the tour!
    How do you determine the "Sharp clicks or pops" are being caused by pistol shrimp and not a mantis shrimp? I have about four locations where I hear clicks, and I would love to know how which it is.

5. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

maybe this should go into the articles section and earn Omard some Karma? Eh?

if not i gave ya some!

Bobby K.

6. mattgeezer

mattgeezer Montipora Capricornis

hey omard awesome shrimp!!! karma for your efforts!!:)

7. Nemo 22

Nemo 22 Coral Banded Shrimp

i thinkit might be better to not find out what it is.lol jp if your missing stuff most likely a mantis .

8. Click Here!

9. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Got to love shrimp and the myriad of other diverse invertabrates available to us to make our tanks that much nicer!

10. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Some additional notes:

Put in 4 peppermint shrimp two days ago...have not seen since.

Coral banded shrimp is pretty agressive to others in Nano.

CB in main is growing into a giant...but stays pretty much in isolated lair. Am wondering now if hasnt't grown too big to get out.

Blood shrimp in main tank used to be very shy and would only see them at feeding time, but they are now getting out and about more often.

:-/